Alveprins

Járn Haukr - the Iron Hawk

Alright, so I've finally finished the latest knife...

I've named it Járn Haukr - Iron Hawk - with it's handle shaped like that of the body of a bird - with a nice fat chest for good grip.

The blade is in bog iron from old tools made by the workers in the Silver Mines of Kongsberg city in Norway. This makes out the body.
The edge steel itself is folded and twisted saw-blade steel from an old wood mill and 15n20 for contrast. The edge steel hardened nicely, and ended up at 58 HRC.

The handle is in a solid piece of stabilized maple, with brass and vulcanized fiber spacers with a nice piece of mirror polished copper for the bolster.

This knife was made extra large and thick in order to accomodate the oversized hands of it's owners, so I took inspiration from some of the more American Bowie style sheaths I've seen on this forum - and made a massive sheath as well.

The sheath is 5 layers of leather, died in a deep dark red with brown borders.

The iron has some cracks in it - but this is the best I was able to do with the material at hand.

If I had more - I suppose I could have kept refining 3-4 kg. down to something a bit more useful.

I feel however - that from a historical perspective - it is quite fitting like this.

It will be handed over to it's new owner this afternoon. :)

Jern Hauken 01.jpg

Jern Hauken 02.jpg

Jern Hauken 03.jpg

Jern Hauken 04.jpg

Jern Hauken 05.jpg

Jern Hauken 06.jpg

Jern Hauken 07.jpg

As always, any critique and comments are more than welcome. ;)

Sincerely, Alveprins.

• Like 6

I really really AM picking up on the hawk theme. The sheath puts me in mind of chest feathers though I see it's actually an interlocking pattern. Too freakin cool man! You somehow get better each one. 

Btw, I dont even miss the extra pattern weld you usually use.

• Like 1

I like that low-contrast etch.  Classy!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I really really AM picking up on the hawk theme. The sheath puts me in mind of chest feathers though I see it's actually an interlocking pattern. Too freakin cool man! You somehow get better each one. 

Btw, I dont even miss the extra pattern weld you usually use.

Haha, thanks man! :lol:

Yeah, the customer's budget didn't really allow for those two extra pattern welded bars I'd usually do.

either way, I went way over budget with this one. He got it basically at half price. :rolleyes: (I really need to learn when to STOP working on stuff...)

13 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I like that low-contrast etch.  Classy!

Not by design I'm afraid. :lol: I etched this bastard for 45 minutes in a 50/50 ferric chloride / water solution - with the acid almost not biting at all on that steel, but eating away at the iron. So, after 45 minutes I gave up and called it quits... 

Customer was super happy though, so that's all that matters I suppose. ;)

Elegant, useful, stunning - well done!

• Like 1

Gorgeous work as always. What did you finish the maple with to get that lovely contrast?

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:03 AM, Charles du Preez said:

Gorgeous work as always. What did you finish the maple with to get that lovely contrast?

Thanks!

#5000 paper, and then rubbed and polished it with furniture wax. :)

• Thanks 1