Sign in to follow this  
Garry Keown

Makeing edge scribes

Soon after I started making knives I made a edge scriber but was having to keep adjusting it for the various thickness of blades I have been using so over the last week I set out to make another two in between doing other things.

I cut a couple of lengths from an old farm implement shaft 

dRHoC0tl.jpg

After giving them a clean up they needed a flat ground down the length of them with a hole drilled and tapped for a 1/4 inch bolt and a 3/8 hole drilled for the scriber shaft 

v3OHw9Vl.jpg

A couple of 3/8 bolts and a concrete nail are the other parts needed. Bots are cut to length and a flat grond down the length for the locking bolt to seat on and a hole for the scribe pin 

bzXTBjGl.jpg

The scribe pins cut (and sharpened) from the concrete nail  

28AoX0el.jpg

And assembled ready to go with one for the .125,(1084 and 12C27) .156 (1095) and .170 (1075 steel I most often use.  

h0wE8A1l.jpg

• Like 2

Three, maybe four years I've been meaning to make something similar to what my mentor did.......and I'm still using drill bits :lol:

If I understand correctly you place the flat of the blade on the flat of the tool and then scribe?

Interesting, different approach to the few I've seen.

8 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Three, maybe four years I've been meaning to make something similar to what my mentor did.......and I'm still using drill bits :lol:

If I understand correctly you place the flat of the blade on the flat of the tool and then scribe?

Interesting, different approach to the few I've seen.

Yes that is how they work. Simple but very effective and cheap to make so having one each for each thckness of material we use is very efficient. I usually have the blade in the vice to file in the sharpening notch and mark them then.

• Like 1

Thanks Garry. I’ve also been meaning to make one. I like your design and will have to ‘borrow’ it :)

12 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Thanks Garry. I’ve also been meaning to make one. I like your design and will have to ‘borrow’ it :)

An 1 1/2 inch square block would be just as effective Charles. I had the round bar so used that, besides the round feels good in hand.

• Thanks 1

Pretty slick little scribe! Could you describe a bit how you calibrate/adjust these to match the centers of the various thicknesses? With the scribes ive made that has been the most challenging part, it takes a good while of fumbling around for me to get it close.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Connor Lyons said:

Pretty slick little scribe! Could you describe a bit how you calibrate/adjust these to match the centers of the various thicknesses? With the scribes ive made that has been the most challenging part, it takes a good while of fumbling around for me to get it close.

I hold it onto the blade  and lightly set the locking screw and mark from both sides hoping for the marks to be about 35thou apart (for pre heat treat grinding) and then it is a simple tap with the handle of the small spanner if it needs correcting before tightening the lock screw. With one for each steel thickness it is set and forget.

Edited by Garry Keown