Anvils from blacksmithparadise.com

I got my anvils today. What a major pain in the butt this was. Somehow they got stuck in Chicago and they couldn't find a truck to haul them to Detroit. I ended up just having them shipped to my door for an extra $135. Pretty reasonable cost considering the weight. I will upload some pictures in a little while. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The weight for forging was fine.  The real issue is that all of the other massive pieces of iron and steel Jeremy has drug home over the last couple of years have created such a large magnetic anomaly

I believe this is the mystery anvil.

If you weren't expecting it I'll be happy to take it off your hands, for free! 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

20210609_131311.jpg

OK now that is just outright bragging!!  But I am watching the show,........ popcorn show me.gif

• Like 1
2 hours ago, C Craft said:

OK now that is just outright bragging!!  But I am watching the show,........ popcorn show me.gif

Yeah....   What he said.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Emiliano Carrillo said:

those church windows are incredible!

I was admiring those, too.

• Like 1

The dovetail on the big 674 lber is mucked up pretty good. I am going to build a jig to mount my angle grinder to and cut a new dovetail.20210610_212223.jpg20210610_212153.jpg20210610_212145.jpg

I ordered these to build the jig.

s-l400.jpg

Have you ever ordered from that Ebay store before?  Their prices beat anything that I've found.  I've got a couple of projects that I've been putting off that I need to get around to starting on.

• Like 1

I have not bought from them. I will keep you informed on how everything arrives.

• Like 1

So the rails arrived in good condition and they are much heavier duty than I anticipated!!! I haven't been able to take a really close look but so far so good!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 11:30 AM, Jeremy Blohm said:

image (2).jpg

@Alan Longmirehow thick of a face plate would have been on an anvil like this? And approximately an age range maybe? The weld line for the face plate is nonexistent. Emiliano Carrillo bought it and I was just trying to gather a little info about it for him.

20210609_193924.jpg20210609_193928.jpg20210615_154658.jpg20210616_125227.jpg20210616_131044.jpg

This is my plan to "re-cut" the dovetail.

20210622_120311.jpg

20210622_120303.jpg

20210622_120536.jpg

This is a 9 inch grinder with a 6 inch cut off wheel. I will have to order 9 inch cut off wheels for it.

9 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

@Alan Longmirehow thick of a face plate would have been on an anvil like this? And approximately an age range maybe? The weld line for the face plate is nonexistent. 

Probably 3/8" or so. You won't see a weld line unless you polish and etch, they did a great job blending it at the forge where it was made.  That's just how they did it in the pre-global-industrialization era.  If you look at pre-1870-ish English anvils you usually won't see a line unless it's delaminating. You always see it on American anvils because we were more interested in speed of production than if it looked good or not.

Age is harder with these German/Austrian ones, could be anywhere from around 1500-1850-ish.  That said, the ones prior to around 1800 were usually very decorated with stampings and such, and the large hardy hole suggests a later date, so call it 1790-1850-ish?  

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alan! I'm always impressed by your anvil knowledge :)  It's an insanely gorgeous anvil, and I can't wait to set it up and use it, though I need to wait till the new ship is built up! I've done some investigating and the face is extremely well blended but I think I see evidence of the weld and I think you're right it appears to be about 3/8"

I think the hardy is an inch square? The anvil is also forged out of a few different pieces which is cool to see. I'm pretty sure there's no stamping or decoration on this one but it's extremely well shaped and finished, pretty amazed with how beautiful it is! 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thank you Alan once again. I agree with Emiliano the wealth of knowledge contained within thee is incredible!!!

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

You're welcome!  That's the thing about being a nerd, the older you get the more seemingly useless bits of random knowledge you pick up.  And I've been a nerdly studier of hand tools for about 37 years now! :lol: