Conner Michaux

Spring/summer/all year around grilling

Alright, I’ve been hoping a thread like this would be started, but I decided to start it myself.   I’d say that the majority of you enjoy a nice steak, or some smoked pork butt.  It’d be cool if this thread stayed alive for a while, I like getting inspiration for my steak and steak rub.   So this thread will be a place to post your good eats, preferred meat doneness and your steak knives. (And what ever other grilling tools you’ve made)

grilling and forging are somewhat similar, so I’m assuming it’s  fine to post this.  

I guess I’ll start it off, I like to put a cast iron pan on the fire and cook myself some food, so a few days ago I cooked myself a nice small Tri-Tip steak, to near perfection, it’s a little to done for me but it was still good.  And then me and some friends drove up to a reservoir I think it was called Mormon reservoir? But we caught 6 decent trout, and cooked them up. 

And then tomorrow, I’m gonna be cooking up another Tri-Tip for a nice campout dinner. 

I prefer my steak to be between medium rare and rare.   So around 130 degrees.    

6C9D24D7-236D-44A9-A6A1-529DDA53872C.jpeg

329D7653-99F7-47E0-9275-4FB2AE4CA5C9.jpeg

• Like 2

That's how I like it.....

I stick to game meat, what you call venison....

I was told recently that somewhere on a farm in the South of the country they have a few deer.  No idea which species, but I'm assured they taste great.....

Mmmm,

Love Tri-Tip.  That fish looks good too. I'm one of those poor souls that's never tried trout.

Here's a recipe for a good glaze.  Works Great on Pork Butt, but I've used it on tri-tip and comes out great.

Mix:

Honey,  Spicy Brown Mustard,  Salt, Pepper and Thyme.  

Mix it all up, and glaze on 1/2 way or close to end of cooking.   Simple and Tasty.

Stabbing some garlic cloves in some pork but always comes out good too, with or without the glaze.

I could have sworn we had a thread called something like "what's for dinner?" somewhere...  I know I gave my recipe for salmon glaze several years ago.  Basically a curry-maple vinaigrette, works on chicken and duck too.  Only salt goes on my steaks, and that level of doneness is perfect.

I grill year-round.  I use the smoker when I can get to it.  If you have a good smoker, next time you get trout smoke some fillets.  No glaze or anything, a little salt at the table.   Around an hour at 220 degrees, preferably with apple wood. You'd be amazed.

If you guys want new recipes and new techniques, try amazingribs.com. There are plenty of great recipes there, but what's really great are the "myth busting" topics. That is worth the price, (free), of admission itself. :)

Try reverse searing your steaks for the best steaks. I hardly ever order a steak in a restaurant any more.

I wish I had a smoker, but I can’t afford that at all, Some day o hope to own a Treager pro series.    

Tonight’s tri tip over the campfire, the steak as been marinating for about 24 hours, and I’ll be cooking it within the next 3-4 hours, it’s gonna be pretty good, the last time I marinated a steak, it was in there for over 48 hours, and it tasted so dang amazing.