owen bush

Feather Kitchen knife.

I have been playing with feather patterns recently, started up looking at illerup idal blade fern patterns and later evolved to a feather pattern , trying to get a stand alone feather...Its been fun. and has lots of spin offs running in my mind. firy , flamy frondy stuff!

48038350021_85203a1495_z.jpg

48038454927_1f6f0e1843_z.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's cool looking.  Truly unique.

(Picks jaw up from floor) Now THAT is cool! It's not easy to absolutely gobsmack me with a damascus pattern, but this one did.  It's just so clean!  And while I think I know sort of how you did it, I'm not entirely sure...  that hasn't happened in a long time!

Plus it's pretty...

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

(Picks jaw up from floor) Now THAT is cool! It's not easy to absolutely gobsmack me with a damascus pattern, but this one did.  It's just so clean!  And while I think I know sort of how you did it, I'm not entirely sure...  that hasn't happened in a long time!

Plus it's pretty...

Thanks Alan. pretty is the idea (and part of the function!).

thats the cool part of this , lots of ways of coming out  with a different take on stuff...I have a few other ideas brewing at the mo that I hope will be more gobsmacking! things taken from other places applied to standard stuff...we shall see! I also have hit a few dead ends with very promising but ultimately impossible patterns!

Very cool! What's the steel mix? 

Any wisdom to impart on thickness/sharpness of the cutter used to "smear" the feather? Have you noticed that different cutter shapes produce different feather angles/lengths?

Dave

Now that one would make a cigar Indian turn and stare!!

Doug

12 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Plus it's pretty...

Alan said it best - holy crap that is sweet! 

Waynes-World-Were-not-Worthy.gif

10 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

Very cool! What's the steel mix? 

Any wisdom to impart on thickness/sharpness of the cutter used to "smear" the feather? Have you noticed that different cutter shapes produce different feather angles/lengths?

Dave

I have been using an 8mm radius as the edge. A parallel cutter works better than a wedge, it’s only the cutting edge doing the work. Material thickness and heat when you cut will have a great deal of influence on the final pattern. I’ve only done it 5 times though! So I’m still at the learning stage!

Im going to take a guess, which may be totally incorrect. 

The feather part, was part bar steel, and part powdered steel welded in a canister and then split and rewelded.  

Regardless of how you made it, that is one SWEET blade, I love the simplicity of the center with the chaos of the outer bars. 

11 hours ago, Robert D. said:

Im going to take a guess, which may be totally incorrect. 

The feather part, was part bar steel, and part powdered steel welded in a canister and then split and rewelded.  

Regardless of how you made it, that is one SWEET blade, I love the simplicity of the center with the chaos of the outer bars. 

no powder in it its much simpler than that .......

ok, then I am at a loss on how you did it so cleanly.... Please tell us, inquiring minds want to know.... 

One of the coolest patterns i have seen in a while. Very interesting.