Garry Keown

Blunt knives

UK: Police Handing Out Blunt Knives to Domestic Violence Victims to Reduce Stabbings in the Home

Victims of domestic violence will have their kitchen knives replaced with blunt utensils to prevent their partners attacking them in their own home.

Nottinghamshire Police are piloting the scheme where around 100 ‘no point’ knives will be handed to victims who have either been threatened or attacked with a knife.

Police are concerned about the high level of knife-related incidents that happen in the home, and are hoping the new scheme has the potential to save lives.

Domestic violence knife crime makes up more than 17 percent of incidents reported to Nottinghamshire Police.

0_NPK2JPG.jpg

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/police-handing-out-blunt-knives-2964343

That is just stupid.....so they can be slashed instead of stabbed? How about getting rid of the violent partners? UK has gone full retard.

• Like 3

So these have anti-stick sharpening compound on them ?  Is that Teflon based ?  

I once stood up and stabbed myself in the foot with a sharp round toothpick sticking up in carpet.  Went up to the ankle.   Maybe they know where I can get some blunted toothpicks ?

• Like 1

Those can still stab and penetrate for sure, looks like they even have a guard to keep your hand from slipping..........

They should remove the handle from the blade and make the entire profile sharp except for the tip!

• Like 1

Next they will be outlawing rocks, all leafless branches should be tipped with tennis balls, all tennis balls must comply to code to ensure optimal fuzzy protectiveness. 

But there's one problem... who'll cut the tennis balls? :excl::excl::excl:

• Like 1

If kitchen knife violence is that big of an issue, just make everyone eat baby food.  No cutting necessary outside of tightly controlled government run food processing plants.

• Haha 3

what about pots of boiling water and hot oil....or hell even a made woman with a frying pan....do we outlaw those as well???

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

what about pots of boiling water and hot oil....or hell even a made woman with a frying pan....do we outlaw those as well???

Ya just need to make rubber fryin' pans...

Most of domestic violence and murders are done with bare hands. If we use their logic, It certainly is the hands fault and not the owner of the hands... Darn hands, they're so dangerous and violent...

• Like 2

In the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds there is a "scared straight" type display about knife violence in the UK.  Sort of "Honest, I barely cut him and he's dead!" stuff.  Myself and the other Yank with me had to laugh.  Not that knife violence isn't an issue, particularly in the north, it's just that when you run the risk of being shot by just about any random idiot you meet throughout the day knife violence seems rather tame.

As an aside re: Brian's comment, that's how Chinese food evolved and why they use blunt chopsticks.  All food prep is done in the kitchen with non-pointy blades (think Chinese cleaver) so the staff is less able to attack the hosts, and as there are no pointy OR sharp things on the table, there is no risk of being cut or stabbed, the peasantry can't rise in armed revolt, et cetera ad nauseum...:rolleyes:

They miss the obvious....it is a people problem, not a tool problem.

Yeah, but you can't ban stupid people.   Unfortunately.

• Like 1

Ban all walking canes!  They're just bludgeons in disguise.

Doug

I made mysef a waking stick with a 3 inch length of heavy walled brass tube on the bottom of the 1 inch rimu (NZ native wood) shaft and an 8 inch length of brass at the top with a brass knob on the top (knob from an old door handle) It weighs exactly 1 1/2 b and makes a good defence/offence ready reaction tool

3eJdJ8ll.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a large, slow-moving target, even if I have a knife, a stick is my weapon.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SteveShimanek said:

They miss the obvious....it is a people problem, not a tool problem.

hmm, Yep, I couldn't put that in better words.

21 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Not that knife violence isn't an issue, particularly in the north, it's just that when you run the risk of being shot by just about any random idiot you meet throughout the day knife violence seems rather tame.

This is something that has become all too true in my stretch of the world in the past few years.  Its changed the way of life a lot anymore. 

I do see a lot of "walking sticks" among the early morning joggers these days, I guess the old pilgrim staff still has a place in society.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Most of domestic violence and murders are done with bare hands. If we use their logic, It certainly is the hands fault and not the owner of the hands... Darn hands, they're so dangerous and violent...

In the US, it's the same with robberies, Strong Arm robberies out number Armed robberies.

Garry, that is a classy walking stick, sir. 

Im with you guys, 100%, everything that has been said i agree with...

... The inner businessman in me, on the other hand, is thinking about starting to make "no point" knives now... :ph34r: 

• Thanks 1

What about the fresh fruit in the house? How do you defend yourself against someone armed with a banana?

• Haha 1