Conner Michaux

Wa style handle Q’s

I’ve got some questions regarding this style of handle,  I know its Japanese.   Is it just a regular hidden tang?  Or is there something   Special to it?      And In real authentic Japanese knives, do they use any type of epoxy to keep the tang from coming out?   And I’m pretty sure that they don’t have pins. 

The people on another forum that specializes in kitchen knives seem to use several methods:

friction fit

burned in friction fit

epoxy

bees wax

dowel and epoxy, (as mentioned above)

The traditional wa handle is just a friction fit.  The tang is tapered like a wedge and is driven into the handle, traditionally tipped with horn to reinforce the joint and prevent splitting the wood.  The handle can be removed for cleaning/polishing the blade.

alright, This is gonna be an interesting project...  Heres my design.

IMG_7948.JPG

Looking good. I'd just make the tang and shoulders a bit wider.

Ah shoot, I saw that after I cut out the blade, and I think I made the tang and shoulders way to small. 

Posted (edited)

Am I safe?    F2AE22EB-D7B0-4550-A0AD-6695DDF3183A.jpeg

36E9E59C-0989-49B0-836C-EFFC4584E873.jpeg

8A588E93-8471-4E10-BFC1-5A28E019610E.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

I'd worry about that saw notch.  That's not a place you want a stress riser.  Just don't harden it there and it should be okay.

Better yet, take a round needle file or tiny chainsaw file and make the notch round with no sharp edges.

If I were you I'd start over. You can still make good small blades off this one so there won't be too much waste. On your next attempt leave a good amount of meat around the profile you will then slowly refine with files. Once you are close to the final shape,  drawfiling the profile with a small mill bastard is a good way to make it smooth, slick and ready for HT.