Small chef/utility

39 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Wickedly pointy!  I like it.

Thanks Alan! It was the first time I actually cut my fingers while hand sanding. I guess that's what you call a zero edge :lol:

39 minutes ago, Mike Ward said:

That’s beautiful! What’s the thickness?

Thanks! Around 1/8" at the spine at bolster. Zero at edge

8 minutes ago, Michael Chaddock said:

I love that clean angular look, nice!

Thank you sir!

Very nicely done.  I love the overall sculpting and how the angles in the handle play off of each other.  

This knife doesn't deserve any criticism.  Since you asked, the only thing that kind of winks at me is the way the lacewood grain plays off the facets of the handle.  It's purely a matter of taste, but I would ave preferred to align the grain so that the top facets had the small eyes and the bottom facets had the more open texture.  As it is you have one of each.  This is actually why i don't like to use lacewood.  The stuff gives you two completely different personalities in the same handle, and is hard to control.

That said, I love the knife, and would be pretty proud to have made it :)

Excellent final product - you have taken mustard patination to an artistic level!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Zeb Camper said:

Clean and sharp, as always! 

Thank you Zeb! 

15 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

I too, am a fan of your patina! How does it hold up to use? Does the patina fade and blurr over time.

It does blend in fairly well with the natural patina that forms over time. It's quite a user friendly finish imo. 

4 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

This is actually why i don't like to use lacewood

Yeah, it's my second attempt at this wood. The first one the wood looked very boring and now on this one the grain is not properly aligned. It was a 1" thick plank so I could not rotate the wood to get the desired alignment. 

Yeah, been there done that.  You have to work within the size of material you have, and it doesn't always work out to your favor.

It doesn't take anything away from the knife.  I like it better than any of the chef's knives I have made so far :)

Thanks Ross! One of these days I'm going to do a tutorial with pics and vids. A lot of people ask me how I do it. To be honest, it was just newbie guessing on how I thought I should do it :lol:.

2 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Thanks Ross! One of these days I'm going to do a tutorial with pics and vids. A lot of people ask me how I do it. To be honest, it was just newbie guessing on how I thought I should do it :lol:.

Would pay to see that