Sign in to follow this  
Will W.

Questions about Ore

Posted (edited)

I located what i believe to be a good deposit of ore a year or so ago, and have been collecting, roasting, and experimenting ever since. 

I just want to run some things by the more experienced smelters here.

Roughly 30% of what i have collected looks like this after roasting:

20190629_143343.jpg

It is magnetic, and will jump up to a magnet when broken up into pea sized pieces. My guess is this is maghemite.

The majority of my samples are like this, also after roasting:

20190629_144110.jpg

When broken apart, the inside looks like:

20190629_145638.jpg

Some pieces have small shiny specks on the inside when broken apart. Still magnetic, but less so than the first examples group. Pea sized pieces will stick to a magnet once touched by the magnet. This group i believe is hematite.

A small amount of what i have, also after roasting:

20190629_144120.jpg

Extremely magnetic, even large pieces stick to a magnet:

20190629_144223.jpg

I assume this is magnetite. 

I believe all of my samples may be good ore, but i have not tried smelting any of it. Just looking for some guidance from the smelters of the forum. Does it all appear to be good ore? Is it worth moving forward with? Is there one group in particular i should focus on obtaining?

I know magnetite is the prefered ore amongst many, but i dont believe my deposit has enough to focus on entirely. 

Any information is useful to me, and is appreciated. 

Edited by Will W.

It all looks pretty good, but I'd stick with the stuff in pic #3.  That looks like decent hematite.  Magnetite is a bit harder to smelt, as it tends to make really gooey slag that blocks the tuyere. 

You can test them using Lee Sauder's assay technique here: http://www.leesauder.com/pdfs/dumplings.pdf

Thanks Alan. 

That is an interesting test that Lee Sauder developed. I will give that a try in the future. 

How fine is too fine when you crush the ore? I know that you want to maximize surface area, without making it so fine it blows out of the furnace. 

20190702_132138.jpg

Is this fine enough?

20190702_132156.jpg

And is this too fine? This stuff passes through a window screen. I think it may blow out of the furnace. 

First pic is fine, the second is a bit too fine.  You can always mix it with a little water and flour to make it into bigger balls of ore.

Awesome, thanks again Alan, i appreciate it. Ill have to try the flour and water with the fines that i undoubtedly will make when crushing.