billyO

Any need for oversized blocks?

Hello all.  As I'm cutting up the last of my spalted maple burl into blocks, I just wondered if larger blocks are needed (like for swords, perhaps) and if so are they hard to find?  

If so, i could perhaps designate a couple of pieces for these larger sizes.

Thanks

Personally, I would save the spalted maple to really make a regular sized (3"-10") blade really stand out and just cut the pieces to typical knife handle sizes.  Making historic swords (European or Asain) typically means that the handle wood is covered with some sort of wrap (leather, wire, ray skin, cord wrap, etc) so using spalted maple would be a waste.  If you already have in mind some creation in your head for a sword where a spalted maple handle would add to the overall design, go for it.  Just my 2 cents.  As for finding larger pieces of spalted maple in the future, just google "spalted maple bowl blanks" and you will find large pieces at relatively reasonable prices.

Thanks, Mike.  I've got over 800 blocks cut up into 'typical' knife handle blanks and I was merely curious if folks find larger blocks hard to find before I finish cutting up the last of the burl.  I've got about 10-15 pieces that are still ~ 4" x 4" x 12"

You can find large blocks online, but I would hesitate to buy wood I couldnt check out in person. Leave some blocks at 4x4x12.

Thanks, Steven.  

7 hours ago, steven smith said:

Leave some blocks at 4x4x12.

Why?  What use is there for them? 

This was the purpose for my question.  I don't see larger blocks advertised in any knife making catalogs, and I don't have a need for them.

14 hours ago, billyO said:

Thanks, Mike.  I've got over 800 blocks cut up into 'typical' knife handle blanks and I was merely curious if folks find larger blocks hard to find before I finish cutting up the last of the burl.  I've got about 10-15 pieces that are still ~ 4" x 4" x 12"

How much are ya asking for the standard scales.....love spalted maple. Hopefully I am ok to ask that. 

26 minutes ago, Kreg Whitehead said:

How much are ya asking for the standard scales.....love spalted maple. Hopefully I am ok to ask that. 

Message sent, thanks

Spalted maple you say..?   I may be interested...    I will message you once i have a tang for it to go on.