Sign in to follow this  
Alan Longmire

First folder

It seems Brian and I both had the idea to follow Steve Culver's instruction book on how to built a slipjoint folder without making patterns first.  Like Brian, I know this is not going to be my last one!  This one is bound for Knife in the Hat, and I will use what I learned making it to make the next one even better. 

Specs: Blade and backspring, 3/32" precision ground O-1 flat bar

Brass liners with Nickel Silver bolsters and pins.

Jigged bone scales from Culpepper & Co., Amber dyed, Catalina pattern.

Open length 5 7/8" / 147mm, blade length 2 5/8" / 66mm.

Closed length 3 1/4" / 82mm

Maximum thickness 3/8" / 11mm

I made two changes from Culver's design.  I omitted the scale pin near the peak of the liners because I thought it was unnecessary and distracting, and I rounded the tang because I've never liked a knife with a half-stop.  It just seems ridiculous to me and serves no purpose except to break your thumbnail if the spring is too strong.  Speaking of which, I am really happy with the spring.  It isn't too heavy, and the knife snaps open and closed with authority.  The judge of how strong to make the spring is my wife, if she thinks it's too strong, back to the grinder!  It feels much like any good factory knife of its size, spring strength-wise.  And now for the pics!

1st Folder 1.jpg

1st Folder 2.jpg

1st Folder 5.jpg

1st Folder 3.jpg

1st Folder 4.jpg

1st Folder 6.jpg

The problems I had with this one:

1. The pivot pin is not invisible on one side.

2. The blade is not dead center when closed.

3. A minor slip at the grinder moved the left-hand plunge line back into the kick.

4. While soldering the bolsters, the scribed line on the right bolster was not where I thought it was, resulting in a mismatch between the two sides.  Much colorful language and careful filing followed.

There has been a bit more cleanup on it after these pics were taken, mostly to remove that facet on the underside of the bolsters.  I also engraved that spot with my initials since I forgot to do the blade prior to hardening...:rolleyes:

• Like 10

I like it, You guys are far more ambitious then I am for the KITH, mine is a simple friction folder. 

Nice one Alan!  I have Steve Culvers' book in my Amazon cart, just waiting for the wife to place her next order.

Right nice Allen................B)

Looking good!  That turned out better than my KITH attempt :) Mine is too tight to snap closed.

That really did not turn out too bad Alan,  I have made a few folders and I find them a real pain, they take even more time to make than anything else.

To my shame I really should have a folder I made my self but I have been carrying an Opinel for over 40 years.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Nice job Allen. As my old framing boss would say "Not bad for your first try" (it's a lot funnier in his heavy French accent) The only reason I can find for the stop on a square-back tang, is it keeps the blade off your fingers when you accidently put too much back pressure on the spine. :ph34r: You are probably right about that pin, especially with bone scales. Scales that have more flex and give can start to delam in the rudest of places. Way to go. Welcome to the madness, again.

Edited by Joshua States

Thanks, guys!  

13 hours ago, Richard van Dijk said:

To my shame I really should have a folder I made my self but I have been carrying an Opinel for over 40 years.

I bought a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife in Lucerne and a medium-sized (~8cm blade) Opinel in Paris in 1992, and still use them both as EDCs.  I love the locking mechanism on the Opinel, and the SAK has a magnifying glass I use quite a bit.  

Very nice Allen - I hope my first one turns out half as good as yours.  Steve Culver's book came in two days ago and I have read it four times already.  I am sure colorful language will also be a part of my first build!

Excellent Alan, it makes the pull of the dark and foldy force even stronger :ph34r:

Jigged bone.....drooooooool :D