Sign in to follow this  
Alveprins

A simple san-mai blade...

I just finished a little blade for a guy who had a dream of making his own knife... So I cracked - and forged him this one. :rolleyes:

The one and only non-mounted blade I'll ever sell. ^_^

Anyhow - thought it might be of interest to have a peek. Didn't do any fancy photo-shoot for this one, so it's a single mobile phone picture only...

The blade is about 13cm long, and 3,something wide. 3,5mm thick.

The pattern welded steel is made from an old sawmill blade and 15n20 for contrast. The edge is Øberg steel.

Initial hardness after hardening and anealing for 3 hours was 63 HRC. Took me quite a few aditional hours to get it down to around 58... But here we are, all finished and polished up!

knivblad.jpg

Anyhow - time for summer vacation and motorcycle tour through the rest of Europe. fixing up my workshop with new benches, shelves, lighting and stuff - and then it's back to new and exciting projects after the summer! ^_^

• Like 4

I love how the twist stars follow the grind line for the bevel.

Enjoy your ride through Europe!

• Like 1

Alveprins, beautiful concept as all your work. Thank you for posting and showing the materials. Did you fold the sawblade and 15n20 the ladder the Damascus or twist. ( Looks like ladder and drill indents?:wacko:) wrap over the oberg or just sandwiched? Sorry for all the questions but I am intrigued. 

Kind regards, 

Gary LT

17 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I love how the twist stars follow the grind line for the bevel.

Enjoy your ride through Europe!

Thanks man!

About the twist stars.. I've forged the curve of the blade - so the steel is naturally bent in that direction. Often when making blades like these that are not multibar - it can be easier to just cut out the shape. But in this case I wanted to get two blades out of one bar - which I did by cutting it across in an angle and forging the curve - as in order not to waste material. ;)

so I will be making a knife with a blade similar to this one... the "sibling" I suppose we could say.

3 hours ago, Gary LT said:

Alveprins, beautiful concept as all your work. Thank you for posting and showing the materials. Did you fold the sawblade and 15n20 the ladder the Damascus or twist. ( Looks like ladder and drill indents?:wacko:) wrap over the oberg or just sandwiched? Sorry for all the questions but I am intrigued. 

Kind regards, 

Gary LT

Thank you Gary.

Put short - twist. ;)

No wrap - sandwiched. :)

Alveprins.