Sign in to follow this  
Kreg Whitehead

Hardness file help.....

I was finally ready to bite the bullet and buy some Rockwell files a couple days ago.

Called Jantz...the person there said they are 135.00....and we are out.

I have access to a bunch of free hardened stainless circular saw blades.

I have made a handful of filet blades for family and friends....and the guy that hooks me up with the blades. 

I wanna make a bunch and take em in for consignment...a local place has sold a few of my blades.

I would really like to know what I am taking in there steel/hardness wise.....is anyone willing to let me send them a small piece to test.

I did a snap test on a piece about 1" wide....and it passed that with flying colors.

Does anyone on here do cyro…..would love to know how hard these blades are....and would love to know if the blades from it would/will benefit from cyro.

Sadly, my Rockwell tester is down (both at work and at home).  A local college that has an engineering or machining center may be able to run a test for you.  

• Like 1

Dragons breath forge has an Etsy store. He sells hardness chisels. Not as precise as a real tester, but it will tell you within a point or two.. still over $100. Good tools cost money