Sign in to follow this  
Kreg Whitehead

H.A.Z.

Posted (edited)

Last weekend I scored a pile of leaf springs.

I am getting tired of profiling with an angle grinder.

I have been calling a few water jetting places and they are talking like 12-15 per blade....plus a set up fee.

I am contemplating a plasma cutter. I have heard people talk about "heat affected zone"

Is that really a concern if you still need to normalize,thermal cycle and quench a blade??

And if so are we talking 1/8"....1/4"??

Edited by Kreg Whitehead

The heat affected zone is just an area around the place that got welded or thermally cut, but was not actually welded or cut.  I wouldn't really worry about it since you are going to HT after the cut.  Some alloys may crack during a thermal cutting operation due to the rapid temperature change.  For leaf springs I would image you would be very safe if you normalize, cut, normalize.  And probably won't have problems if you do no normalizing (other than your usual amount after forging for grain refinement).  

• Thanks 1

I just want to really clarify that as long as you aren't cracking the metal, and you are going to HT later, the HAZ isn't something to worry about.  Unless you are doing stock removal, then you may run into hard spots that a normalization cycle will fix.  

• Like 1

If it's not too much hassle, even a half-hearted anneal makes the grinding a lot easier.

Considering the number of cutting discs I save, I always put a leafspring through the forge before starting. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:32 AM, Gerhard Gerber said:

If it's not too much hassle, even a half-hearted anneal makes the grinding a lot easier.

Considering the number of cutting discs I save, I always put a leafspring through the forge before starting. 

They usually get heated a time or 3 to get em straight....then I air cool em.

I was letting them cool off in the forge....then was told on here you do NOT want to slow cool 5160.

If there is a way to make them softer let me know.

There are 5 paydays next month....unless life throws me a curve ball I am gonna pull the trigger on a plasma cutter.

Until then I am gonna bribe a friend with another blade to cut 10 or so of em out for me.

Normalize a couple times, then go for the sub-critical anneal.  Heat to 1300 F or so.  Do not go through the phase change.  It is a very aggressive temper, which leaves a normalized piece pretty soft.  

• Like 1