Sign in to follow this  
owen bush

Bryneleoma (Beam of Fire) – A dragon slaying sword of the Rohirrim. A collaboration with Petr Florianek.

This is the latest collaboration sword from myself  Petr Florianek .

We wanted to make another fantasy sword yet at the same time keeping a firm grip on reality. This a very much a “real” sword but also a dragon slaying hero’s sword!

48191107947_42f56c656e_z.jpg

The sword blade takes inspiration from early Saxon blades, marrying that history into Tolkien’s middle earth and the world of the Rohirrim horse lords. The blade was made by myself and the handle and scabbard are Petr’s work.

48191108177_f24dcdd30f_z.jpg

The blade takes inspiration from early Saxon patternwelded blades and has a lenticular section giving it the heft and strength needed when fighting dragons! It is important for me that anything I make has a functional reality to it. A reality based upon the imagined purpose of the object . This is the sword of a mighty horselord hero with the pride and fate of his people behind him. A sword for battling a dragon.

48191055906_26d911fd71_z.jpg

Bryneleoma has a patternwelded blade 3 core bars twisted anticlockwise, clockwise and anticlockwise, the core bars are wrapped in a high layer damascus edge . The bold core pattern contrasting the fine layers of the edge.

48191056111_ff2169897c_z.jpg

In Petr’s words…

I wanted to make a truly heroic sword and when given Owen’s mighty blade, I had enough inspiration to get the feel of it. The blade is hefty and long so I immediately started to picture a mounted warrior; a hero on a horse, a proto knight if you will. The inspiration for this sword is firmly set in Tolkien’s Middle Earth, in the world of the Rohirrim horse lord. The motives for ornamentation are simple – he dragon on the pommel as the most powerful enemy but also a symbol to ward off evil. On the handle a series of knots representing fate being spun by higher beings. The knot on the guard symbolises oath, the oath of the horse lord bound to his people as their protector. An oath from sword to swordsman, the guard of the sword being there to protect its heroic master.

48191056021_d4f2cac2af_z.jpg

I love doing these pieces with Petr, and always look forward to getting the finished piece. He has a way of bringing a blade to life.....

• Like 10

Pure magic, as it always is when you two wizards get together!  There is not a single aspect of it I don't love.  That little doohickey on the scabbard slide looks like some Le Tene mirrors I've seen.  What do the runes on the collars say?

Holy cow!  The twist pattern looks like dragon scales.

Wow.  if I could find someone with your skills to apprentice under...

That is epic, worthy of a dragon slaying hero!

Another masterpiece as always - beautiful work.  The two of you have really blended myth and reality in this one!

Wowzers  !!!.................:o

That is absolutely beautiful!   Love everything about it. 

Pretty much what i picture when i think of swords from legend. 

Jaw dropping as ever. 

Double WOW!

So amazing!

I always love the collabs between you two, and I think this is your best yet.

By Odin's beard, that is a fine piece of art!

I...…..WANT...…...THAT!!!