SteveShimanek

Humidity killing my belts;Ideas?

It is constantly very humid in my shop, and usually 80 degrees plus F. TruGrit's rep told me that the glue they use doesn't like those conditions. I called when virtually all of an order that had been in the shop a while blew up on the machine. I am currently down to one old worn out belt, and need to order some new ones; i need some that will have some longevity as my production rate/usage is low but steady. Any recommendations? Right now I just plan on getting some 36 and 80 grit belts in 2x48 size for my Radiusmaster.

The man from bader grinder said to only buy what you would use in 6 months and that it was good to store them in a plastic bag in a climate controlled area.

• Thanks 1

Maybe ask the sales reps?  Tell them your situation and let them recommend something?  I'd think belts rated for wet grinding may be the key.

How about an air tight container large enough to hold your belts. Just add some desiccant packs to it before sealing.

10 hours ago, Ron Benson said:

How about an air tight container large enough to hold your belts. Just add some desiccant packs to it before sealing.

Perhaps rice?  It is a bit overplayed these days as a (poor) wonder-cure for soggy cell phones, but it does absorb moisture.

Maybe do the same setup as keeping welding rods dry, old refrigerator with a light bulb on all the time.

I ordered some belts that are water resistant from McMaster Carr, so will see how they go. Thanks for the suggestions. I also ordered the parts i needed to continue my power hammer project.

Just a comment on old belts.  I bought a big pile of the 1x42 belts years ago and put a new one on the grinder just the other day.  The seam let go after about 1 minute of running leaving one end with what looked like a piece of tape.  I scraped the mating surfaces with a 3 corner scraper and glued it back together with some superglue.  It held up long enough for me to finish what I was doing and then some.  So not a permanent fix but enabled me to get a little more use out of the belt.

I haven't had good luck with that; I do have a pile of new belts to experiment on when i get a chance; I may try the Hipurformer (sp) type of High temperature hot melt glue.

TRuGrit sells silicon carbide belts made to run wet...check with the glass companies they always grind wet with belts. Do as much as you can with 4.5" grinders you will be surprised. 

Thanks Brian, some good info there.