Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

66 lb holland anvil swage block

The more I'm getting into axe and hammer making I'm getting sick and tired of using my post vise for driving drifts. I know I could have made something with the steel I have on hand but I wanted this anyway. It is ductile iron but I figure its gotta be better than grey iron.

s-l400.jpg

Now I need to build a stand for it. But it's going to have to wait till next week when I get back home.

Resized_20190711_114117.jpeg

Looks like a miniature industrial block.  Mine is about the same size, but it has only one through-hole (1 3/4" square) on the large sides.  The rest of the flats are taken up with bowl and spoon impressions.  Mine also omits the octagons and has two larger half-rounds on that side.  I need to carve out the pocket on its stump a bit bigger, the wood shrank over the last couple of years since I last rotated faces and it took a long time and a lot of force to get it back out.  It's surprising how tightly a 1" deep slot can grip when it's shrunken elm...

Regardless, swage blocks are incredibly handy to have around.  Certainly not necessary, but they make a few jobs easier for sure.

• Like 1

I'm excited to put it to use. I'm finding axe making a lot of fun and hammer making is something I'm really wanting to do more of. I wanted it a bit bigger and actually considered buying one from blacksmithparadice.com when I bought my anvil. He has a few really big ones and a couple of ones in an L shape so there is  o need to flip it up on end to use the edges. The one downside is it only has the impressions on one side.

image.jpg

Also the big sway on one side will be nice for straightening long objects like swords!B)

For size reference here it is next to my 200 lb anvil.

Resized_20190711_144407.jpeg

I love my swage block, even though it is banged up pretty badly. I have found that a swage with a dish is excellent for forge welding the bird's mouth on the tip.

Welding.JPG

• Like 1

I like that idea. Holland anvils also have one with bowls and spoon impressions. It's a little lighter (50 lbs I think) and lighter on the pocket book. Maybe I will consider it later when the wife isnt mad at me for this purchase anymore.:ph34r:

I made a stand with a hoist. It makes repositioning the block a lot easier. 

1D9D5DA2-5D39-4D60-BAA8-043746E65BA5.jpeg

D693E7B8-9789-4F58-BDB3-6986712051B6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

That's a great idea!!!

Thanks Jeremy!