Garry Keown

Presentation box plus knife and gun

This has been a fantastic journey. 

On 8/14/2019 at 2:44 AM, Garry Keown said:

Thanks Gerhard. For quite a while it seemed I was a stockmaker who occasionally made knives and now it seems the other way arround. Either way it is my happy place

Congrats on your newfound career!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I got all the discs inletted today. Necessary tools in the optivisor, hole punch with light hammer to mark the outline of the disc, fine carving chisels and small tapping mallet. 

Jtkcfafl.jpg

outline marked in 

SY8v9LFl.jpg

The edges V cut back 

RmKhCm2l.jpg

Inlet complete 

U9NxmJ9l.jpg

And one of the discs sanded flush and ready for handle finish so I can get them re-etched this week. Unfortunately it was not possible to get a perfect curve to the disc without some marking of the surface to cleaning it off and getting it re-etched was the only option.

4vLSKifl.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown

I was afraid you might have to do that.  :(  at least this way it's a guaranteed perfect inlay, though.

5 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I was afraid you might have to do that.  :(  at least this way it's a guaranteed perfect inlay, though.

Close Alan. good not perfect. B)

• Like 1

Nerve racking doing something destructive  like chiselling on an otherwise finished handle though.

5 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Nerve racking doing something destructive  like chiselling on an otherwise finished handle though.

One thing I learned was to give the hole punch/outline chisel a spray with dry glide as it "can" take a chip out of the outside of the circle when taking it out after tapping it into the wood, especially on the short curly grain of some of the handle and grip sets.

I’m not familiar with dry glide Garry. What is it?

10 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

I’m not familiar with dry glide Garry. What is it?

It is a siicone spray that dries almost instantly and is a great lunricant. I use it a lot on the table of my thicknesser/planer and it has a very real effect on metal surfaces as well as wood.

https://www.crc.co.nz/808-Silicone/6895-15e667c2-8e92-4224-8674-7086168c93ea/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ooh, that stuff saved me replacing about $5000 worth of sticky windows!  I had no idea it was good for carving tricky woods.  I have always heard silicone causes problems with finishes so (among other reasons) it never occurred to me to try it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Ooh, that stuff saved me replacing about $5000 worth of sticky windows!  I had no idea it was good for carving tricky woods.  I have always heard silicone causes problems with finishes so (among other reasons) it never occurred to me to try it.

I spray it on the tool Alan so it will release easily from the wood, but it works well on old drawer runners (the old remedy was to rub the base and sides of the drawer with soap)  

Teaer pic. Have to get the etching of the discs re-done but it is all starting to come together.

ihSdOfZl.jpg

XXqgC5Ol.jpg

• Like 4

Whoa! I didn't realize they were Ruger. My favorite!

9 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Whoa! I didn't realize they were Ruger. My favorite!

Thanks Joshua.

That was the pistol my friend from the gunshop sent down to fit them to but I am going up to see another friend this week as he has three different models (Colt, Tanfaglio and one from the Phillipines) so will make sure the grip sets will fit accross the brand and quality range of guns before I deliver them to the gunshop, get some professional photography done and do some advertising for them.

I should be able to post some preliminary pics of the three boxes with the three guns, knives,mags and ammo  later in the week

Everything finished now so was through to see friends this morning and fitted the grip sets to get some picsl
3ZwDSnKl.jpg

ujOJTlll.jpg

1YFdPJXl.jpg

3BgyW9Bl.jpg

The story and data card to go with the boxes
cozVQDXl.jpg

0YwQKsEl.jpg

OwLowh1l.jpg

• Like 3

Garry, simply amazing work, well done and thank you for taking us along on the build.....inspiring! 

• Thanks 1

They turned out awesome Garry. Something to be proud of to make, gift or own. Congrats.

• Thanks 1

Thank you gents. It has been very rewarding to work through the chalenges this project bought with it but now I can add a section on these to my website and offer them with the options mentioned

Edited by Garry Keown