Caleb Budd

Broken back Seax

Due to some personal problems and forge problems this is my first completed knife in almost a year. It took me a few months of off and on work but I am very happy to have it completed and I really hope you all appreciate it as much as I do. But as always any feedback is greatly welcome and appreciated! I include in progress pics to show the journey this knife and I took from forge to finish. Special thanks as well to Collin Miller for helping me along with this knife and pushing me to make sure I finish this right!

OAL 13.5"

Blade length 7.5"

Handle Material African blackwood and  Birds eye maple

IMG_0288.JPG

Fresh out of the forge with a couple of other projects I was working on at the time

IMG_0524.JPG

Initial cleanup of the blade with an angle grinder then an 80 grit flap disc

IMG_E0879.JPG

Reshaped the seax then hand sanded the blade, had to redo it after making the flats more aggressive and sharper

IMG_1057.JPG

Getting the handle fitted up and glued

IMG_1071.JPG

Final piece this has been my best knife so far and it has been an amazing teaching moment for me in patience and having the determination to do it right even when it may seem hard. I have an immense pride in this knife and though it doesn't hold a candle to a lot of the knives posted here I hope you all can appreciate it as much as I do.

• Like 1

A well made blade and the tight birds-eye in that maple looks great.

Doug

On 7/11/2019 at 2:34 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Well done. B)

Thank you Alan!

On 7/11/2019 at 4:05 AM, Zeb Camper said:

Looks like a proper seax!

Thank you Zeb spent a lot of time making sure it looked that way so that is definitely great to hear!

On 7/11/2019 at 12:32 PM, Doug Lester said:

A well made blade and the tight birds-eye in that maple looks great.

Doug

Thank you Doug, and I too love how the birds eye turned out! Going to have to use more in the future 

14 hours ago, Jeroen Zuiderwijk said:

Great job! 

Thank you Jeroen I know you saw the finished product on the Facebook page but I don't think you ever saw the starting piece!

Very nice, nice job!

Looks purty seaxy  ....................:D