KITH WIP Tanto

Conner Michaux

There’s  decent bit, sadly the finest file is a tiny 5 inch Nicholson Bastard file. And it removes material about as fast as my 12 inch.

18 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

What’s the best way to removed cured epoxy squeeze out? 

Remove it before it cures......;) 

Next time, Right before you clamp the whole ting together, rub a thin film of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on every surface you don't want the epoxy getting stuck to. Then, after clamping, carefully wipe the epoxy bleed-out off with a cotton swab and more petroleum jelly.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

The only bad experience is the one from which you learn nothing.  

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

J.States Bladesmith | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JStatesBladesmith

I’ll definitely keep that in mind For next time. 

Critique time, what do ya like what don’t ya like? 

4E217AA3-F158-4D1A-B422-F7311E3926E4.jpeg

44B28D72-EFCE-4590-977A-5364B4EE05C5.jpeg

E345198C-A8E7-40F0-AB29-865D716D0D8E.jpeg

5B758E7E-12B2-40DE-B2BB-C82991FBC104.jpeg

05094686-4342-4DE3-8F62-39C23F092147.jpeg

D09844C0-28F3-4105-AF68-9B9F9823E8F0.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

Robert's right, that's a nice piece of wood.  Since you're asking, the only thing that stands out to me is the gap between the guard and the top of the blade (but I think you already knew about that;)).  Anything else would just be stylistic preferences which don't really matter.

Your finish on the handle and guard looks great, and I'm really impressed with the cleaness of the break line on your primary bevel.  The finish on the blade really looks good.  It's obvious that you paid close attention when you were hand sanding.  Overall I'd say great job.  You should be proud of that one!

Thanks Alex!  There are other little things you can’t see in the pictures. The spacer traveled a little bit when it was being glued, there’s gapping between the spacer and he handle, shoulders or the knife don’t fit up to the spacer, and there are some minor dips and mistakes in the handle, but over all I tried the best I could, and it looks really good. 

Lol I still can’t make myself enjoy that kind of music,   The most electric guitar I can take is Credence Clearwater. Don’t really know why but I still prefer acoustic guitar. :lol:

Did we decide on kith drawing being tonight or tomorrow morning? 

Edited by Conner Michaux

I believe the drawing will happen whenever the good doctor feels like doing it.

2 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

but over all I tried the best I could, and it looks really good. 

And that is what it's all about.

Now I made it look all fancy with editing magic. The last one looks the best, I did the other two because it makes the figure of the wood look cool. 

582DBE70-02BD-4F3A-8606-AE5CCF94777C.jpeg

86DCDE61-74B8-44CE-A690-16675BF873F2.jpeg

49AC5B2B-31E1-44D4-8D70-4A6381DC84E0.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux

A little editing goes a long way. Every image is unique of course, but generally speaking, I find lowering the brightness a little, and upping the sharpness and saturation, again just a bit, tends to make images look better. Contrast is very dependent on each image. 

Anyways, knife stuff. The handle looks disproportionately large compared to the blade to my eye, but that's mostly a stylistic critique, which are no more than personal preference usually. 

Your level of fit and finish is very good. As Alex said, you obviously paid attention while standing both blade and handle. 

Nice work man. This is one to be proud of!

Learned a bit more that a ton, the only thing I don’t like about the mirror finish is that is scratches so freaking easily, and and smudge makes it look awful, but I’ll clean it up nice before I send it out.

Thanks for the critique all. 

51 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

scratches so freaking easily

Lol,  thats why I don't usually do mirror finishes.  They never stay mirror.  Knives are meant to be used.  Not sit and be pretty.  One errant finger print, bang against something or even hit the bone and that scratch sticks out like a sore thumb..   They can be pretty while working though...

Just dragged my nice damascus frame handle across a snakes neck a few hours ago.  Right on the ground.  Didn't bother me one bit.  Didn't bother looking at the damascus finish afterwards either.   Cut like butter.  That's the important part.

Edited by Bruno

Good work Conner, it's been fun to watch you slug your way through this.  Persistence, the ability to learn, and the willingness to go out on a limb are the traits I value most in an employee.     You've got a good future in front of you.  Just keep your feet on a good path, and you'll go anywhere you want to.

-Brian