Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard Gerber

FeCl toxic?

I guess the topic says it all, is it toxic or just corrosive? :blink:

I break 2 XL gloves for any one I get on my hands, so I save them for epoxy and resin work, FeCl only seems to stain a bit :P

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't drink it.  Only had one 1/2 semester of chemistry in junior high.  Yay Public School.  But I believe  It's just Iron and Chlorine.   Spoon fulls of either wouldn't be good.  But I don't believe is toxic, at least not in the sense of "OMG It touched me, I'm gonna Die!".   Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable around here will chime in.  But I've always believed it to be safer than Muriatic or Sulfuric acid others have used for etching.

Keep some baking soda around anyways.

Edited by Bruno
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruno said:

"OMG It touched me, I'm gonna Die!". 

Figured that bit out already :P

I can't afford to get too old, but I also don't want to die prematurely in some horrible way :ph34r:

Many are the day I think I should start smoking again :wacko:

Don't Smoke.  It'll kill you badly.  And just make someone else rich doing it.  That part really bugs me. :angry:   If it were free, well then do what thou wilt.

Otherwise,  have fun with the Ferric :)

Yeah, ferric won't hurt you unless you drink it in quantity.  Have no fear. B)

I used to walk to radio-shack when I was 12 and spend my allowance money on the stuff so I could make some new circuit board I had dreamed up.  It messes up hardwood floors, and stains tube socks a really nasty orange color, but I'm perfectly fine.  I mean aside from gaining weight, balding, middle-aged, high cholesterol, can't remember crap, joints aching, and just generally being a nerd...

...wait, I live in America.  I can probably sue the FeCl people for some or all of that!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I believe that if you have bought FeCL 'over the counter' it's not all that harmful.  Probably dry your skin out a little, get it in a cut and it will sting like hell.  Industrially, it can be pretty potent as it was once used a lot where I'm at. 

The nasty acid you can get over the counter with relative ease is muriatic acid.  I have worked around the stuff at workshops and when I did masonry work.  I did not want to test how long before I would feel a burn before it got on my skin - but when you see it eat concrete it's probably not a good idea.

It is always a good idea to read up on your chemicals - for me it's part of my real job.  The three big acids are the nitrates, sulfates, and chloric. Among thousands and thousands of other harmful things.  But most of them you can't get over the counter.

Always better safe than sorry, so make sure to use gloves and KEEP SAFETY GLASSES ON when working with it.   I have a thing about getting anything in eyes. 

Edited by Daniel W

A few of the guys at the wastewater treatment plant I once worked at used a very high concentration FECL on poison ivy! :o I don’t recommend that, but it didn’t seem to hurt them other than staining their skin for what seemed like weeks :lol:

• Haha 1