Sign in to follow this  
JPH

Something I whipped out

Hello:

Been sorta busy around here with family stuff since we have a brand new granddaughter so this is something I whipped out real quick..

This one is welded from a mix of 1095, L-6 and a bit of meteoric iron thrown in ..8 1/4" Maiden Hair blade...Phosphor bronze mounts...Some of that bowling ball material for the fluted grip..This piece  looks like a deep reddish maple burl! Turned out OK...at least I think so...

The sheath is set with a 17.65 Ct star ruby.. cut this one myself.. All in all I think it didn't turn out too bad..

Hope the photos work... This one is website stock and is currently listed there...

JPH

DSC05390A.jpg

DSC05395A.jpg

DSC05400A.jpg

• Like 10

Congrats on the granddaughter JPH.

I do like that maiden hair. Are the bevels ground on a contact wheel? I was wondering how you got that long transition from ricasso to spine.

Edited by Charles du Preez

Chas:

This  was ground on a 14" serrated wheel at a SFM of 7200. I do that "feathering in" on all my double edged  pieces..I think it looks a lot better than just having them abruptly come together..It just looks "right"  that way.

JPH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPH said:

...at a SFM of 7200

That'll take a knuckle to the bone in the blink of an eye.

I've always liked that feature as well, and I think it is one of the touches that makes the grinds on your blades so distinctive.  Do you freehand in the feathered portion by eye on the edge of the wheel, or is there an easier way to get them that consistent?

Hello!!  

First off I totally DETEST grinding..it's boring and monotonous and just un-fun.. So I run my grinders to the point where grind time is minimalised.. And the Frankengrinder cuts everything..it doesn't care..steel, iron, bronze. wood...meat ..bone or anything else that it gets to chew on it'll do it!!  Just have to be careful.. besides just about everything in my studio can get ya..some to the point you are FUBAR... So best keep your mind on what you are doing..

On the feathering in of the bevels..these are done free hand..Pretty much everything I do is freehand ..besides I was "taught" to grind by my great friend the late Robert Egnath...he ground more blades in a day than most folks do in a year..His personal record was 193 if I remember correctly... I have ground so many that it is second nature to get that nice transition... It's all practice..just like most other things..

Here's another one with that  really shows the feathered in grind...finished this one yesterday..

JPH

DSC05382A.jpg

Edited by JPH
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That bowling ball carcass material is pretty spiffy for plastic.  Looks almost like amber.

Alan:  

I am starting to really like the stuff..It is different I will say that. Here is one I finished today that is going up on my site tonight..got to get some lucre PDQ..all God's Childin' gotta eats!

I forget what this colour combination is called...something like molten lava?

JPH

DSC05446A.jpg

Edited by JPH
  • Like 2

I do love the way that you just whip something out.  Great work.

Doug