Doug Lester

Bummed big time

:angry:  Just went out to my forge and noticed that two of my anvils had grown legs and walked off and I have an idea who was the weasel who took them.  I just have no proof.  I'm thinking of putting in some security cameras in the back yard even though it's like locking the gate after the horses have gotten out.

Doug

• Sad 4

Doug, I just logged on and saw this. Perhaps signs posted offering a reward and check with pawn shops, flea markets, Craigslist antique stores, local farriers might have been contacted, etc. I know it’s lots of work but.....could prove worth it. 

Sorry Doug, my best to you, have faith something better will show up to forge on?!

Gary LT

Yeah, you should make a police report... That's $1000 or more right there. There has to be something they can do. Even if it's just a paper trail if you ever catch the lowlife. 

Hate to hear that man. 

Posted (edited)

Some people have no respect at all.  Sorry Doug.   The police might help.  I've lived in some crappy neighborhoods.  Not advocating anything, but I'm the type to go looking for what's mine and make a point while doing it.  Again, not advocating anything.

Damned drugs taking over this whole country.  A Couple years back in my nearest town there was an article about opioids.   Seems that the Doctors had prescribed over 3 Million opioid pills to my county alone over the course of 2 years.  No where near that many people in my county.   Nice to know that the doctors are looking out for us handing out highly addictive opioids like candy.

Screw the camera's.  Get a shotgun and make a point of sitting on your porch with it.

I advise you to ignore anything that might seem like a suggestion.    Tool theft burns me good.  Unfortunately you have been burned worse.

Best of Luck.

Edited by Bruno

Commiserations Doug, that's a bad one..... :angry:

I'm with Bruno.....although we have cameras everywhere en here in the 3rd world.....

Bummer. :(   I feel much the same as Bruno about tool theft.  That's just low.

Big Bummer Doug....for sure security cameras....padlocks can be cut-off but cameras tell a story...

As far as other means of enforcing your will and security well....there's a reason my shop door has

two signs "Protected By Smith & Wesson" and  "Beware the Guard Dog"

Maybe there is a just God or maybe it's just coincidence but the man whom I think is the most likely to have stolen the anvils was waiting outside of my garage when I came in from out of town to "barrow" $10 to drive over to Springfield to that he could have his hernia repaired.  He has stolen from me before and has never made an effort to pay back the money that I have loaned to him.  His plus side is that he does yard work cheap and is good at it.

Doug

Hey Doug,

Tell this guy that there might be a big reward for finding the anvils, and see if that leads anywhere.   Wouldn't be surprised if he heard something from a guy...  The rest is up to you.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:07 AM, Bruno said:

Damned drugs taking over this whole country.  A Couple years back in my nearest town there was an article about opioids.   Seems that the Doctors had prescribed over 3 Million opioid pills to my county alone over the course of 2 years.  No where near that many people in my county.   Nice to know that the doctors are looking out for us handing out highly addictive opioids like candy.

This is a very sad truth, I live in the middle of the "epidemic" area of the entire country. My home town used to be decent enough that you could walk down the street without a thought.  Past 3 years, totally different story, you can't even approach someone without fear of incident because you don't know what their on.   As a result, people turn to what I consider an '"escalation" to protect themselves from the addicts.

Every smithy feels an anvil theft, we appreciate the years of work done on them for a century of craftspeople who came before us. Then some greasy sticky fingered person pinches one takes it to a scarp yard for a few cents that it's worth.  I would check the scrap yards. 

If you find your anvil, put it on your homeowners insurance if you can.  I put mine on my rental insurance and kept the hand written document of what I payed for it with my signature and the guy I bought it from.  That way, the insurance company has a proof of what it's worth.

Taking steps for securing property, I worked for a church in my area and went over a lot of proper security for public buildings.  The #1 thing is lighting.  Put up motion sensor lights everywhere, their relatively inexpensive.  Cameras, quick and easy is a trail/game camera.

Overall, just like any layer of defense, put up things that make it difficult or takes a thief more time to get to what they want.  I still work in my garage, and I have a fear of people seeing my anvil.  Therefore, when I'm done, I park my work truck in a spot that makes it almost impossible to get the anvil out when it's there (about once a week I use the truck).  I also cover all my tools when their cool, as out of sight out of mind.  Nib nosers, are strongly discouraged anyone asks what I'm doing - "I'm restoring a car."  

In the next few years, if I plan to stay at this property, I will be putting up fencing.  If I put up a work shop, probably a second layer of fencing around it. Rose bushes, thistle and holly trees everywhere!

If I could afford it I'd get a 300 lb anvil and dare anyone to walk off with it.

Doug

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Bruno said:

Hey Doug,

Tell this guy that there might be a big reward for finding the anvils, and see if that leads anywhere.   Wouldn't be surprised if he heard something from a guy...  The rest is up to you.

I think this is a good idea, but wait until he has the hernia repaired so you can watch him rip it open again lugging your anvils back.

Edited by Brian Dougherty

There's a very good chance that the thieves have no intention of keeping & using the anvils so it would be a good idea to give a heads-up to anywhere that might purchase an anvil.

• Like 1

Doug, ive had theft out of our barn twice. I know who did it too, after i put head gaskets in their van for free no less, because like a dumbass, i felt bad for them. But now, different story. Been burned so many times, i have no sympathy. Youll find that in the dictionary between shit and syphallis (sp?). When i go to bed tonight i will say a prayer that when he got home with your anvil, he carries it to his garage filled with glee, and squishes his balls between it and the workbench. Then i hope it falls horn down on his foot. Im sorry im so bitter. People just piss me off sometimes. I hope you get it back!!

Tom

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

If I could afford it I'd get a 300 lb anvil and dare anyone to walk off with it.

Doug

O, where there is a determine thief there is a way. Anyone see the clip of the thieves that took a backhoe to dig out a ATM and put in on the back of a pick up?

Nothing makes you more annoyed that you know already know your thief.

#1 make a police report. Everyone should at least have pictures of their equipment in place as basic proof of ownership. In 1986 the standard was first letter of last name dash last four of social security number on everything, I used to have it on VCRs, lol, and hidden within things. Cameras are cheap now days, some real ones, some fake ones, some smile for camera signs. 

When I went home to Arkansas in 2010, I was shocked that junkyards were buying anvils from methheasds and scrapping them out. In fact, there were anvils everywhere when I was a boy, every barn had one, every farm. then they were used as yard art, now stolen and smelted. A hundred pounds of steal is easy money for low life punks. When we run out of anvils, they will start stealing our flag poles with sawsalls.

Sorry this happened to you, Americans in general are to polite and nice, scum use that against us not understanding that every man, is limited by how much he will take, then they are shocked when you stand up for yourself. I hope you get your anvils back. 

I just had a look around my forge again today to see what I might need to do to the forges and I found out that my air blower is gone too.:angry:  I'm looking at one of those 30 Kg anvils to replace the one of the same size and I guess that I'll have to go on Ebay to see if they have another bounce house blower.  I'm also going to have security cameras installed.

Doug

• Sad 2