Sign in to follow this  
Troels Saabye

1800 litre charcoal kiln WIP

So I finally got around building my charcoal kiln V 3.0 - used 12 lbs of dry ice in an old 1800 liters heating oil tank to displace as many flammable fumes as possible, then off to cut with an angle grinder to make an acces door next step : remove the pipes inside the tank

20190719_132124.jpg

20190719_132131.jpg

20190719_132136.jpg

Another days work, this time it's the firebox insulated with rockwool (I know it isn't ideal but the manufacture told me the stuff would keep in shape as long as it isn't mechanically stressed IE tossed and turned isn't good after first burn). It does wear the marks of having spend 1 year in our barn with pigeons :P   but the design worked on my smaller ovens - the firebox isn't that big made out of a 10 gallon drum inside a 55 gallon drum with 10 cm rockwool as insulation

the rest of the tank will be wrapped in 25mm or 1" kaowool, and wrapped in corrugated iron  and/or maybe another 4" or rockwool on top of the kaowool ?

20190720_110103.jpg

20190720_102958.jpg

20190720_110819.jpg

Minor set back - woke up this morning with a back as stiff as a board -.-

After a quick cup of coffee and 100 mg tramadol - not pain free but enough for me to get up and work.

This time I started building the flame barriers inside a 30x20x50 cm box made of 5 mm mild steel. Again, most of my work is tinkering/scrap being recycled  - it looks a bit rough

And finally got around to get a photo of my birds :)

20190721_144134.jpg

20190721_144124.jpg

20190721_144134.jpg

20190721_110238.jpg

• Like 1

Another step towards completion - tested the drill and bit on some plates, they seem to be enough to drill 10 mm holes in the tank

Hopefully I get the holes of the screws holding the door drilled today

okay 5/6 holes drilled, of course the battery died ½ through the 6th hole -.- oh well moving on tomorrow - it's way to hot outside to work at daytime

Thats a pretty fancy grill your making there for just a couple birds,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Nice work, 

• Like 1

;) nothing but the best ! Hopefully I can get the last hole drilled today, though I may be optimistic - the heatwave has rendered me nearly a cripple -.- Scandinavians aren't made for 27-35 celsius

• Like 1

Ha, Im at the back gate to Death Valley,,,,,, its actually hotter than Hades here, lots of Europeans with kids on vacation which I never understood. Why in the heck would anyone leave Europe in summer,,,,,,,, so nice there.. 

;)  I don't know about others, but I for sure I'm not going anywhere but Antarctica :P  or any other sub zero destination

Got the door mounted today, after much frustration (I drilled some hole last time, and they didn't fit -.- so I had to drill new ones

I did however find an alternative way to mount the door using six harrow teeth

retort door.jpg

Got the cross bars for closing the retort door, now onwards toward drilling holes and welding threaded angles to the tank - in theory I should be able to shut the door tight with those two crossbars

Gonna have to weld some angles on to secure the cross bars to, project of tomorrow ;)

Got the door boltet on finally ! After discovering I had drilled hole for the bolts 2-3 mm off target... But fortunatly  I was able to file enough material off in the right directions to make them fit. Next up -> removing excess  metal on the back plate

progress retort.jpg

So far not much new, I've checked bolts and their fit, next up : moving the tank closer to the shop to weld the bolts in place

Excellent - My father said I could get a helping hand from one of our employees  ^^ Now the oven is  ready for welding on the bolt. Hopefully I can get it done by tomorrow

Hopefully I can weld the bolts on tomorrow, if the weather is rainy it's possible - can't fell trees in shitty weather.

This is looking good. Its lighting a fire under my ass to get building mine.:lol:

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jeremy :)  yeah it's a bit rough - hopefully it can get the job done though. What size are you building ? No building for me today - time to harvest honey from our bees ^^ I'm planning on making a frame of 25 x 25 mm x 3 mm square steel tubing, then weld/bolt on 1 mm steel sheet  for protection from wind/weather for the insulation

Edited by Troels Saabye

Finally ! After a day with angry bees and 30 C heat I got around to weld the bolts in place, snug fit, going to be even better with Ceramic wool insulation. Next step -> test firing and burn out to get rid of all the gunk inside the tank.

retort dør.jpg

retort.jpg

• Like 1

Right now I have an 80 gallon tank I'm going to make a smaller retort and I have been given a large 250+ gallon tank I'm going to make a bigger retort when I can manage to go and get it. 

250 is a good size :)  I'm tinkering with the insulation - is 25 mm enough kaowool ? It's going to be wrapped in kaowool, and then building some scafolding using 25 x 25 x 3 mm square steel tubing, then cladding with 2 mm thick steel sheet ( just for protection against wind and weather)