Sign in to follow this  
Troels Saabye

1800 litre charcoal kiln WIP

I'll try test firing the oven before insulation to see if it can reach 500 centigrade without.

• Like 1

Cool. You recovered now?

Nope, but the retort is in place.. got a doctors appointment - renal cholic they said -.- I really hope the alpha blockes i got will help.

Never heard of it but sounds really painful. Good luck man.

The same thing kids can suffer, just a different part of the organs :) . . Thanks  :) hopefully over soon - I don't have time for this :P  got a forest to fell and a ton of charcoal to make

Finally :D the retort/oven is in place ! Now the troubleshooting begins ^^ first - let's see if it leaks -> go and buy 1300 C sealant to make an airtight gasket.

All I can say is that after following this for 2.5 months and 3 pages, there had better be a video at the end, or a least some darn good pics ;)

Okay, it's just not my year -.- went from man flu to being infected at a course -.-  But as soon as I'm healthy again time to create the seal between door and tank - then test firing

Okay, shouldn't be too long now and I'll have the time and materials to move on. The shop is nearly ready for opening day, it would be nice to sell charcoal then.

Edited by Troels Saabye

Troels   ...Are you aware of the amount of smoke you will be generating......I could not do that here...due to neighbor's expectation and a local solution control board.......so I do it in an open pit , which most people have a misconception of. I live in a fairly rural area.

yep :) fortunatly - we live way out in a rural area :D I have one limitation only - can't fire it when the wind is south, anything else misses the village and anyone in a 4 mile radius. As for regulations, I found non about making charcoal or any sort of smoke.

Edited by Troels Saabye
  • Like 1

Okay, I'll have to stick to sealing the retort with clay - couldn't find a silicone sealant to stand up to 500 c :P  but hey, clay and dirt works.