1800 litre charcoal kiln WIP

And another pile of firewood :) nothing like an afternoon with a chainsaw when the sun is shining and just the right temperature and wind conditions ^^. Got the measure for the retort chimney - 150 mm .

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IT'S A LIVE !! I finally got the kiln fired up 100 kg of charcoal on first run a lot of charred but not completes (took 12 hours to heat up and i was impatient), but for the next run I installed a N

After a quick cup of coffee and 100 mg tramadol - not pain free but enough for me to get up and work. This time I started building the flame barriers inside a 30x20x50 cm box made of 5 mm mild st

I was expecting the birds to be barn pigeons, rather more colourful than that.

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Piling on the wood ^^ and picked up the gasket today - some kind of woven fibres with graphite in it.. rated for 600 C in atmospheric air and 3000 C in an inert one and it should be resistant to the caustic enviroment.

The kaowool finally got shipped :D should have it tomorrow - but will he have remembered the glue :O ?  oh well - I'll need to order two more rolls of it so I'll just order more glue on the second one.

Edited by Troels Saabye

Okay not certain yet but : My mother said we need to get rid of a larg tank (used to remove manure - originally an ammonia storage tank on  1.4 Mmeters diameter and 3 meters long with a wall thickness of 40 mm :D just got to clear it with my father - but if I can get this one I got volume for a business and I might be able to make a retort design of my own to sell ^^

Posted (edited)

Trying to figure out : What shape should the door be for best chance of airtight seal around the edges. right now I'm leaning towards an octagonal door with two hinges or maybe just a metal plate and some C clamps ? 1" diameter bolts ? What do you guys think ? This time I've decided enough is enought . I've bought welding angles, im tired of my fabrications looking like crap - And to develop my retort further more precision is needed.

Im thinking some kind of hatch fastener - but I cannot find the right search word for the ones i need : they should be 10+ mm thick and pref. not stainless but normal mild steel

Edited by Troels Saabye
Posted (edited)

While waiting for the go a head, I've decided to develop the smaller one of the retorts (smaller being 1.8m3 compared to 4.5 m3 the new tank - not going to commit to the larger one before I figure out a way to burn off the distilates or collecting them)

But the smaller retort - just got 230v at the site so now I'm going to implement a better blower too got  125 mm one bit more quite and a lot more air flow.

Im going to build a closure for the electronics and  setting the box on the side of the carbonization chamber with a lot of insulation to avoid molten electronics.

I know it probly isn't going to build up pressure - but I'm mounting a pressure gauge on the larger one as well as a Carbon monoxide, CO2 methane  and other gas detectors.

The final one will have :

temperature  x 3 sensors in a hand held,

gas detector

pressure gauge

Edited by Troels Saabye

Just loaded the retort  -this time I've tried to cram as much as possible into it.A minor set back - my combustion chamber needs upgrades but can function, got to find a bigger box and heavier gauge.

After a walk at my scrappile (yep we got one) I found several tractor tire rims 5-10 mm thickness  - could make it work - cutting out the middle ,stack and then weld them together. '

Final cylinder will have about a 100 x 50 x 50 cm combustion chamber. And it seems to be able to fit inside a 55 gallon drum  - so I can use one for containing the insulation- and it would be a lot more durable compared to the oil drum.

^^ got the door and front part of the new combustion chamber welded together - next part is to weld it to the bigger section and then install baffel plates

Okay - all set for the burn, the new gasket fit like a glove :) now for the fun part: will it hold ?

Also I installed four LED solar powered lights so now I can work through the night if need be.

This time I'm giving it a full week to cool down.

Posted (edited)

And the burn is done  - today it's just packing up the kaowool and wrapping it in a tarp - not opening it before next wednesday

Edited by Troels Saabye

Got one of the sensors home :D quite the funny looking fella.. good quality ,feels like porcelain or ceramics - heavy and cold - now I need to find some sort of protective housing for it  - don't want to smash it up loading the retort.

20200522_211047.jpg

20200523_133521.jpgOkay bit of a nightmare day  - accidentaly slammed the lit of the combustion chamber (the big thing in the picture) and it broke, so fast foward 2 hours countles welds and I added three bolts to secure the lit while transporting and after adding a shock absorber the lit can now slam without cracking.

20200523_133528.jpg

Next I need to thread the holes  - that way I can seal the combustion chamber too (the accident where I lost a load was due to ambers from the CC(combustion chamber) so this time I'm building it to seal. as for joining the two parts the carbonisation chamber and CC I'll be using bolts and clay  - this would make it easier to remove the CC entirely. But inside I can fit a lot more firewood than the last one.

The insulation will be 20 cm thick first layer kaowool and then normal rockwool. going around the lidt aswell to leave as little as possible

The outer shell will be made from old oil drums (same kind my first kiln was made of)  Probly just tack it in place (not going to be applying force to it

and lastly - found som 800 C paint for the retort.

20200523_133521.jpg

Okay I cannot stick a sensor inside the retort without protection, so I took some 1" or 25 mm water pipe cut a 250 mm piece and right now there is about 150 marked holes to drill :b x 3

Posted (edited)

20200527_103457.jpg

I made the guards for the temperature sensors, experimented a bit more or less holes ?

The combustion department is almost done, just need to weld two more flame baffles (plates that stop direct flames from entering the carbonization compartment, this build I really want to minimize the risk of reingniting the charcoal - a longer smoke path and more baffles, that way more heat will be transfered (in theory from the baffles to the retort)

next : I need to bolt the chamber to the retort. thinking of 6- large bolts 30mm diameter ish

20200527_131522.jpgOne of the baffle plates welded in place

20200527_103447.jpgthe most drilled of the guards for the sensor - will it be faster to detect the temperature changes ?

Edited by Troels Saabye

20200529_082828.jpgGot the last two sensors today - i think it will work the way they are with 1000 mm of cable  and using and extra long one for the back sensor (ordered 5 meters of cable)

Hopefully today I can get the baffle plates done - need to bulk up the plate by welding several thinner plates into one thick piece.

I'm trying to decide what to buy of tool next - in the long run i'll be wanting : a plasma cutter, TIG MIG and stick welding (stick for the thicker stuff like 40 mm) but the TIG and plasma is

my priority - that and a grinder 2x72 :P   probly going to use 10.000 USD for the setup but I may be able to get a big ol' ESAB water cooled electrode welder.

Posted (edited)

Allright if my health allows - I now have a stick welder for 130 A 100% of the time ^^ and 60/40 cycle on full. And I got a present :P granny needed a new cast iron stove/oven ? any way I can have the thick cast iron sides to use as a sun catcher to increase temp in my wood dryer

Edited by Troels Saabye
lacking info

Opened the retort today : SUCCES :D  only 10% wasn't carbonized ! So next run: install insulation in the bottom (going for some insulating refractory brick) Also - I need to get some thicker steel in there, getting a bit too soft at 600C

20200601_125409.jpg

20200520_185637.jpg

• Like 1