Jump to content
Wes Detrick

Yes, I finally made a chef knife

Recommended Posts

I finally bowed to the peer pressure of a friend and made him a chef knife.  It is 88 layers of 1080 and 15N20 laddered with a bronze bolster, black G10 spacer, and a pretty stabilized Redwood burl handle.  Caleb Royer did the picture.  Anyhow, here is it.  Let me know what you think gentlemen.  

redwood.jpg

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think you should be making more chef knives. Absolutely beautiful work as always. Question; any reason you put what looks like a slight hook back on the bottom of the blade near the hand? Also what are the dimensions? I just got my first real commission to do a chef knife and am collecting information on sizes, construction, etc.

Edited by Bill Schmalhofer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it a lot Wes! For a first chef, you seem to have figured out the why's and how's of the geometry and ergonomics pretty well(much better than I did! :lol:). The package is very appealing and it looks like a nice workhorse. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn Wes, that pattern really pops !!!

One hella nice first try  !!!.................B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's real purdy!

Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful work Wes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Clifford, the contrast in your pattern is striking.  Did you do a coffee etch on that one?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep,  That's a good one.   I bet the new owners Jaw Dropped.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Bill said, you should be making more chefs knives.

The whole thing flows very well. The pattern is bold, and that redwood is stunning. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most excellent!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!  I am glad it is well received.  It was quite the learning experience to say the least.  But I really enjoyed it.  Sorry for not including the dimensions.  Here they are:

Blade length: 8.75"

Total length: 13.75"

 

On 7/19/2019 at 6:19 PM, Bill Schmalhofer said:

I think you should be making more chef knives. Absolutely beautiful work as always. Question; any reason you put what looks like a slight hook back on the bottom of the blade near the hand? Also what are the dimensions? I just got my first real commission to do a chef knife and am collecting information on sizes, construction, etc.

Do mean where the heel of the blade curves back some?  I idea is to trap the remainder of the hand when using in a pinch grip.  I also like the aesthetic of it.

 

On 7/19/2019 at 8:47 PM, Joël Mercier said:

I like it a lot Wes! For a first chef, you seem to have figured out the why's and how's of the geometry and ergonomics pretty well(much better than I did! :lol:). The package is very appealing and it looks like a nice workhorse. 

Well, I wouldn't say I figured it out on my own :D  I have a friend that makes chef knives almost exclusively, and I got a LOT of feedback from him.  He is was very instrumental in making sure the geometry was right.

 

On 7/20/2019 at 1:40 AM, Alex Middleton said:

I agree with Clifford, the contrast in your pattern is striking.  Did you do a coffee etch on that one?

 I did!  I did some ferric etches and then did an overnight coffee etch.  

 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, Raymond Richard said:

Thats quite a pattern for just 88 layers. Fine looking chef's knife..........

The billet started as 88 layers; how much of it is on display is another matter :)  Thanks Mr Richard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wes, that's exactly what I was talking about on the heel. Interesting idea. It does add something. All the chef knives I've looked at have that area straight down. 

Could this become a "signature" of Detrick Chef Knives ;)?

 

Thanks for the dimensions. Not to be pushy, but how thick is it at the ricasso? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

Wes, that's exactly what I was talking about on the heel. Interesting idea. It does add something. All the chef knives I've looked at have that area straight down. 

Could this become a "signature" of Detrick Chef Knives ;)?

 

Thanks for the dimensions. Not to be pushy, but how thick is it at the ricasso? 

Oh no, this is definitely not something that I came up with, so it is something I would never take credit for.  If you look at a lot custom made chef knives, you will see this. Check out @Don Nguyen or Mareko Maumasi for example.  Some of Mareko 's knives have a heel that kicks back quite aggressively.

You aren't being pushy.  It is about 5/8".  The width of the blade is about 1.75"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang Wes. Just dang it man!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Dang Wes. Just dang it man!

Seconded!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot guys! I thought it turned out decently :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife would kill me if a made a knife that beautiful for someone else before her. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My girl would stab me with it and tell me it was my fault if I tried to sell something like that before she had one.... 

Its stunning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suddenly find my GF a lot more cold blooded than I thought she was. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys need to cook more. That way, you make one for yourself and let the wife/GF  use it too. ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, thank you everyone.  I am glad the things I make inspire dread for the wrath of your significant others :lol: And I genuinely do appreciate the compliments.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...