Wes Detrick

Yes, I finally made a chef knife

I finally bowed to the peer pressure of a friend and made him a chef knife.  It is 88 layers of 1080 and 15N20 laddered with a bronze bolster, black G10 spacer, and a pretty stabilized Redwood burl handle.  Caleb Royer did the picture.  Anyhow, here is it.  Let me know what you think gentlemen.  

redwood.jpg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

I think you should be making more chef knives. Absolutely beautiful work as always. Question; any reason you put what looks like a slight hook back on the bottom of the blade near the hand? Also what are the dimensions? I just got my first real commission to do a chef knife and am collecting information on sizes, construction, etc.

Edited by Bill Schmalhofer
  • Like 1

I like it a lot Wes! For a first chef, you seem to have figured out the why's and how's of the geometry and ergonomics pretty well(much better than I did! :lol:). The package is very appealing and it looks like a nice workhorse. 

• Like 1

Damn Wes, that pattern really pops !!!

One hella nice first try  !!!.................B)

• Like 1

That's real purdy!

Doug

• Like 1

Beautiful work Wes.

• Like 1

I agree with Clifford, the contrast in your pattern is striking.  Did you do a coffee etch on that one?

• Like 1

Yep,  That's a good one.   I bet the new owners Jaw Dropped.

• Like 1

What Bill said, you should be making more chefs knives.

The whole thing flows very well. The pattern is bold, and that redwood is stunning. 

• Like 1

Most excellent!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  I am glad it is well received.  It was quite the learning experience to say the least.  But I really enjoyed it.  Sorry for not including the dimensions.  Here they are:

Blade length: 8.75"

Total length: 13.75"

On 7/19/2019 at 6:19 PM, Bill Schmalhofer said:

I think you should be making more chef knives. Absolutely beautiful work as always. Question; any reason you put what looks like a slight hook back on the bottom of the blade near the hand? Also what are the dimensions? I just got my first real commission to do a chef knife and am collecting information on sizes, construction, etc.

Do mean where the heel of the blade curves back some?  I idea is to trap the remainder of the hand when using in a pinch grip.  I also like the aesthetic of it.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:47 PM, Joël Mercier said:

I like it a lot Wes! For a first chef, you seem to have figured out the why's and how's of the geometry and ergonomics pretty well(much better than I did! :lol:). The package is very appealing and it looks like a nice workhorse. 

Well, I wouldn't say I figured it out on my own :D  I have a friend that makes chef knives almost exclusively, and I got a LOT of feedback from him.  He is was very instrumental in making sure the geometry was right.

On 7/20/2019 at 1:40 AM, Alex Middleton said:

I agree with Clifford, the contrast in your pattern is striking.  Did you do a coffee etch on that one?

I did!  I did some ferric etches and then did an overnight coffee etch.  

On 7/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, Raymond Richard said:

Thats quite a pattern for just 88 layers. Fine looking chef's knife..........

The billet started as 88 layers; how much of it is on display is another matter :)  Thanks Mr Richard!

Wes, that's exactly what I was talking about on the heel. Interesting idea. It does add something. All the chef knives I've looked at have that area straight down. 

Could this become a "signature" of Detrick Chef Knives ;)?

Thanks for the dimensions. Not to be pushy, but how thick is it at the ricasso? 

4 hours ago, Bill Schmalhofer said:

Wes, that's exactly what I was talking about on the heel. Interesting idea. It does add something. All the chef knives I've looked at have that area straight down. 

Could this become a "signature" of Detrick Chef Knives ;)?

Thanks for the dimensions. Not to be pushy, but how thick is it at the ricasso? 

Oh no, this is definitely not something that I came up with, so it is something I would never take credit for.  If you look at a lot custom made chef knives, you will see this. Check out @Don Nguyen or Mareko Maumasi for example.  Some of Mareko 's knives have a heel that kicks back quite aggressively.

You aren't being pushy.  It is about 5/8".  The width of the blade is about 1.75"

Dang Wes. Just dang it man!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Dang Wes. Just dang it man!

Seconded!

• Like 2

Thanks a lot guys! I thought it turned out decently :)

My wife would kill me if a made a knife that beautiful for someone else before her. 

• Haha 1

My girl would stab me with it and tell me it was my fault if I tried to sell something like that before she had one.... 

Its stunning. 

I suddenly find my GF a lot more cold blooded than I thought she was. :lol:

You guys need to cook more. That way, you make one for yourself and let the wife/GF  use it too. ^_^

• Like 1

Again, thank you everyone.  I am glad the things I make inspire dread for the wrath of your significant others :lol: And I genuinely do appreciate the compliments.