I made a Bardiche

Einar

My goal with this was to make it look like a weapon from a museum, not a brand new one with a shiny blade. I dont know how well I succeeded in that. I'm guessing I am not fooling any curators any time soon. :P But overall, I like the look of it. 

The blade is mild steel with a spring steel edge. Somwhere between 55 and 60 rockwell according to my hardness testing files. 

I believe the haft is hickory, or maybe ash. Its from an old snow shovel.

I stained the wood a deep ebony color, and the blade was given a very dirty sanding before antiquing it with a mix of strong vinegar and salt. 

I would have liked deeper pitting than I got, so I might redo the vinegar treatment later. I let it rust for about 4 days before lightly sanding the rust away. 

Total length: 168 cm or 66 inches.
Blade length: 56 cm or 22 inches.
Blade thickness: 4.8 mm, or 3/16 inches
Haft length: 145 cm or 57 inches.
Weight: 1930 grams or 4.25 lbs

IMG_20190630_155512.jpg

IMG_20190630_180523.jpg

IMG_20190705_212824.jpg

IMG_20190708_234425.jpg

IMG_20190714_172702.jpg

IMG_20190714_210044.jpg

IMG_20190714_210050.jpg

IMG_20190720_210517.jpg

IMG_20190720_210556.jpg

IMG_20190720_210613.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Wes Detrick said:

Coooooooooooool.  I would not want to be on the wrong end of that.

Thanks! Neither would I! In fact the thought of dropping it on my toes is terrifying enough.

Strange, that is the 2nd Conan reference i have seen today; the 1st was a soundtrack on one of Dave Stephens' press videos from 2009. Nice weapon, could be useful in a zombi attack.

9 hours ago, Doug Webster said:

What a lovely cheese knife!  Perfect for decapitating just about anything. 

Well done 

Thanks! This can slay the mightiest of cheeses.

8 hours ago, SteveShimanek said:

Strange, that is the 2nd Conan reference i have seen today; the 1st was a soundtrack on one of Dave Stephens' press videos from 2009. Nice weapon, could be useful in a zombi attack.

I should get one of those zombie test cutting heads and try it.

• 1 year later...

Hello there, 

Could you tell me more about building a blade in this manner?  What tool steel did you use and what welding process?  I've been wanting to build a polearm forever.  I've tried making them from big circular saw blades but making big fussy forge welds has proven too elusive (for the style of halberd I'd like to make).  Your technique looks very appealing. 

-Adair

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2020 at 9:41 PM, Adair said:

Hello there, 

Could you tell me more about building a blade in this manner?  What tool steel did you use and what welding process?  I've been wanting to build a polearm forever.  I've tried making them from big circular saw blades but making big fussy forge welds has proven too elusive (for the style of halberd I'd like to make).  Your technique looks very appealing. 

-Adair

Hi, sorry I missed this reply, I havent been checking in on the forums much lately.

I dont know the excact steel I used for the edge. Its a spring steel, probably something along the lines of 1060.

I did not do any forge welding. I arc welded the spring steel edge to the mild steel blade. If you attempt that, you should preheat the pieces first. 200-250 degress Celsius should be enough. If you try to weld without preheat, you might get cracks along the welds. On my bardiche there are very fine cracks along the welds on one side of the blade. They were completely invisible to the naked eye until after the etching, when they started to stand out as fine lines of rust.