Mike Ward

EDC/Hunting Knife

I got a commission from my boss for a edc/hunting knife. I drew up some designs and he picked the one he liked and made a couple of adjustments. I messed up the first try in grinding by thinning the spine too much, but the second one is going well. The blade is ~4.25” and 8.5” overall by about .140” thick at the ricasso with a distal taper going both ways. The steel is 1084 and the wood scales are tiger striped maple.

1342E57B-F534-4F0D-8C4B-89580F581486.jpeg

I left the ricasso open for adjustment post heat treat.

9654E1F7-B373-4CD4-85C7-5F386C042D90.jpeg

The grind is a full flat with a convex taking it down to .02”. I’m going to take it down about another .005”.

What kind of pins do you think would look good, brass or copper? Anything look odd to your eye?

Posted (edited)

I think a nice and dark mustard patina and copper pins would make an appealing contrast with your light scales. 

Edited by Joël Mercier

My vote is mustard patina and a medium dark aqua fortis stain with brass pins.  It comes down to what you and/or your boss wants - some prefer darker scales and some like them light.

I don't think that I would do a forced patina unless your boss wants it that way.  I think that those scales are crying out for a darker stain to bring out the tiger stripes.  If the scales are stained on the lighter side I would use brass pins, or maybe some mosaic pins.  If you went with a darker stain on those maple scales it might look better with copper pins.

Doug

Ok, here’s the verdict. Dark mustard patina with the natural maple and copper pins. Thanks for the suggestions!

Don't forget to post the finished pictures.  We all like knife eye candy.

Doug

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to drill through this? I tried tempering it back but no luck. It’s about halfway through, I’m using 5/32 cobalt bits and I’ve gone through two of them.  Drill press isn’t variable either.

5E40DEE6-CA35-4DA8-BF63-461F9CB4DEFB.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately the best way is to do it pre-hardening.  At this point it's going to be a pain.  My suggestion would be to drill it slowly and use a good lubricating oil (Not WD-40!) on the drill bit.  Without being able to slow down your RPM's it's going to be a bit of a crapshoot.

Failing that, maybe try submerging the blade in a bucket of water and then heat the areas where you want to drill up to a good red heat, let it cool slowly, and then try drilling again.

Good luck!

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Like 2

Are you using some kind of cutting fluid? just saw where you do not have a drill press, that is pretty much a must have,,,,,,,,, (drill press + cutting fluid x slow slow slow new drill bit = success)

There is no way to get the pressure and hold the bit in place by hand after it gets hard, its just microscopic how small the math gets on cutting holes in hard steel,,,,, says dumb blacksmith who used to work with air hardening steel that wondered why the angle grinder barely removed material, lol. 

OK, reread that you have a drill press but cannot slow it down, for that you have to slow down the bit. Are you sure there is not belt inside the press you can manually change the speed on the drill bit to slow? 

Try over tempering a few more times, you might also be able to get a center punch in there to make a little dimple which can help with drilling a short depth.

You can push your heat a bit farther, just dont let the colors run too close to the edge. 

Also carbide tipped masonry bits work for some people.

Id try more over tempering first, and learn to sharpen those bits if they arent snapped, its tricky but ive dulled and broken plenty of bits. Then carbide bits, and the center punch would be last resort. 

So I did a combo of everything and it eventually worked. The drill press is actually variable speed with a pulley system, I just didn’t look closely enough. Slowed it down to its lowest setting at 250 rpm. I also bought more bits and cutting fluid. 

I tried to drill it with the low speed and barely anything happened. Over tempered it again and put a new bit on and it very slowly started to get through. Then it started to bite pretty good and got through. I’m betting there was a layer of carbide in the middle that was stopping me.

Its gluing right now and should ready to shape later.

thanks for the help.

Glad to see that you got it solved.  

Another option, for future reference would have been to anneal the blade, drill the holes, then re-do the heat treat

3 hours ago, Mike Ward said:

So I did a combo of everything and it eventually worked. The drill press is actually variable speed with a pulley system, I just didn’t look closely enough. Slowed it down to its lowest setting at 250 rpm. I also bought more bits and cutting fluid. 

I tried to drill it with the low speed and barely anything happened. Over tempered it again and put a new bit on and it very slowly started to get through. Then it started to bite pretty good and got through. I’m betting there was a layer of carbide in the middle that was stopping me.

Its gluing right now and should ready to shape later.

thanks for the help.

Heck Yea! Loved your story there, reminds me of when I tried to reinvent the wheel in Thailand based on stuff I remembered as a kid. This forum got me started, and Im sure some people had some good laughs at my expense. When I read your post I could not ever remember seeing a drill press without pulleys or speed adjustments, glad it worked out and looking forward to seeing your finish. 

Just out of curiosity, did you punch the spot you planned to drill or just mark it with a mark or scratch? 

Bryan, I punched it before I drilled it and when I was trying to drill through it. I think there was a flake of carbide on the side of the hole that was messing all it up because the punch was denting just fine the middle of the hole.

Here it is mostly shaped, just some final hand sanding, making my mark, and applying the patina left.

A526604F-2620-4E4A-9D48-6B342229E643.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice and smooth lines B). The oil and patina will make everything pop

Very nice! I like how everything flows nicely.

Nearly all finished! I got the handle all shapes and finished, then did a single coat of tung oil for now. I’m going to apply more coats for the next couple of days then give it to my boss on Friday.

309E13EE-FD91-4AA1-A83C-00454A2EB215.jpeg

Mustard! Applied with the textured side of paper towel and a very small amount.

AFB61B21-CFB8-4619-B378-E188CE6F3C77.jpeg

And some finish pics. What do you think?

D0474C43-F056-47B5-9E87-F429F9018EF6.jpeg

B2F48AA7-491B-4CD3-83E6-DCCFBD5A1A9E.jpeg

6835653C-063F-4B77-A930-6D61FE3C7EE3.jpeg

• Like 2