Sign in to follow this  
Alex Middleton

My 2019 KITH

1 hour ago, Alex Middleton said:

I agree.  I was a little limited with how low I could drop the back of the handle due to the tang pocket and ended up with that slightly M shaped profile.  At first I didn't care too much, but after a while it started to really bug me.

That's the kind of seeing that matters. That's a good thing.

• Thanks 1

I made a bit more progress today.  I wanted to dress up the handle a little bit more so I decided to inlay a piece of copper into the butt.  

20190818_204214.jpg

20190818_204155.jpg

It still needs something else, I'm just not sure what yet.

You went for a pretty wild buttcap there. I think what you see is "missing" might be the very artistic butt clashing with the more utilitarian style of the rest of the knife. It warrants extra handle ornamentation. 

But I do like it! 

I think you're right Zeb.  The good thing about it is that it turned out exactly the way I had planned, which is a bonus for me.  Unfortunately I'm feeling like it was a flawed plan. :D

I'm not sure that this was the right knife to do something like this on.  It may have been a step too far.  Now I just need to decide whether to embrace it, or back off and re-simplify it.  Everything would have been easier if I had just been able to find that darn bronze in the first place!

So before I made any rash decisions, I decided to glue it up and take everything up to a polish just to see what it looked like.  I think that there's enough figure in the wood that to add anything more would just detract from it.

20190819_204327.jpg

Oh yeah, I think I forgot to mention that the blade is a 104 layer randomish pattern damascus.:D

20190819_204527.jpg

I think after a few touchups to the handle and a final edge, it'll be ready for a sheath.

I think it did need something else, and then you etched it, and that was what it needed. It looks complete now. I like it! 

• Thanks 1

call it done and make that sheath?

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

call it done and make that sheath?

I think so.  There's a couple of small blemishes in the polishing that I have to go back and fix but otherwise yeah.  I think if I tried to add anything more it would just serve to take away from the grain of the walnut.  I may mess around a bit and see if I can brighten up the contrast to the Damascus, I'm not sure yet.

11 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

I may mess around a bit and see if I can brighten up the contrast to the Damascus, I'm not sure yet.

There is always another knife.

Aaand done. 

20190825_162259.jpg

20190825_161536.jpg

20190825_161701.jpg

20190825_161830.jpg

20190825_162201.jpg

The sheath was supposed to be brown, but came out closer to black.  Other than that, and a small ding on the butt of the knife from dropping it on the concrete:angry:, I'm really happy with it.  Now on to the next one!

We always drop them at least once. :rolleyes:

I talked our marketing person into taking some better pics for me today.  They're not Sharp by Coop, but they're way better than Cellphone by Alex:D

DSC_0926.JPG

DSC_0928.JPG

DSC_0933.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another one in the can.

That's film & music biz talk.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1

Found it!

20190830_164727.jpg

In my desk drawer at work.  :blink: