Sign in to follow this  
John Evans

Antique Anvil -

I purchased an antique anvil from a friend yesterday.  It feels like it weighs around 100lbs.  Marked 1864,, and there is a crown mark up and to the right of the 1864,, perhaps the size of a nickel ?  I want to clean up the anvil, so I can see the other markings but don't want to damage the anvil.  Any ideas of where made ?  I'm assuming made in 1864. Any ideas of how to clean up the anvil?   Found this anvil near Delta, Ontario CANADA.

Attached photo of markings, and overall.

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

It's either a William Foster or a Wilkinson, both of Queen's Cross, Dudley (suburb of Sheffield these days, home of anvil-making for hundreds of years), England.  There will be three numbers stamped on the other side that indicate the weight in hundredweight, quarter-hundredweight, and remaining pounds.  It is wrought iron with a steel face, which means using anything stronger than a wire brush and sandpaper to clean the face is a big no-no.  

That one looks to be ready to use after brushing the rust off, in fact.  Don't even think of things like machine shops and surface grinders/milling machines.  That is the fastest known way to ruin anvils.

Finally, it's not an antique in the anvil world, it's a modern London pattern in good using condition.  To be considered antique they have to predate that pattern, or pre-1830-ish.

• Like 1

Dudley is actually in the "Black Country", west of Birmingham (England) and about 80 miles as the crow flies from Sheffield. 

This thread reminds me of the saying that to an American, 200 years is a long time and to an Englishman, 200 miles is a long way.

Quite true! :lol:  I'd love to see the Black Country Museum one of these days...  Last time I was in Tintagel I ran into an old gentleman from Wolverhampton, we had a nice talk about the Black Country.  Plus I learned how to pronounce Dudley and Wolverhampton like a local. B)

I agree that most Americans don't realize that the UK has pubs older than our country.

Doug

Posted (edited)

Thats a nice looking anvil,,,,,,, Alan, do you think its  good idea to paint or black the bulk of the anvil, not the face or just leave it be? The reason I ask is when I found old anchors, in salt water, we would leave them in fresh water a few days, old ones needed to be in fresh water for years, then coat them to deprive oxygen to keep them together. I was just wondering if would make a difference in a hundred years? 

Edited by Bryan Bondurant

Since it hasn't been in salt water, no, it'll be fine with a coat of oil.

• Like 1