Brian Dougherty

Are there any high quality snaps out there?

I like the convenience of adding a snap to the belt-loop on a sheath.  However, the poor quality of the snaps I have been able to buy keeps me from using them.  I have bought snaps from several different sources, but they all seem to be the same cheap junk.  None of the ones I have tried will stay snapped with even light pressure applied.  Not to mention the quality of the rivet portion is pretty poor.

Surely the folks making service holsters for the police are not using the same junk I have been finding available.  Do any of you have a source for high quality snap closures?

• Like 1

Following, my Tandy leather snaps are very flimsy as well.

Tandys is just cheap chinese junk, the rivets in the snaps ive used all ripped instead of mushrooming. I made a pair of tall boots and half of their eyelets came out, I used the right tools and everything, I dont keep my boots very tight either. 

Ive had better results making a copper peg with a mushroomed out head. 

Like this,

I have not used these since I have always had decent luck with the Tandy ones (line 24 only, not the little ones), but these look to be higher quality: https://www.buckleguy.com/line-24-snaps-cap-15mm-ring-socket-nickel-plate-s15b51ln-solid-brass-100-per-bag/

The act of writing this post made me think of a few other search terms through which I found out about Pull-the-Dot snaps.  They seem to be what I want, although they are a bit more complicated than the basic line 24 snaps.  I've ordered a few, and will report back in a few days.

Have you tried McMaster-Carr?  As a general rule, they sell good quality.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:42 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I have not used these since I have always had decent luck with the Tandy ones (line 24 only, not the little ones),

I use the smaller Line 20 snap from Tandy pretty regularly and have always had good luck with them. I think the secret is using the correct setting tool and buying the stainless steel snaps.   I just checked the Tandy site and they do not sell the same setting tool as what I have (I bought it 30 years ago), so you might have to make one.

Just for clarity, I think the main reason snaps fail is when they aren't tight against the leather. If your male or female parts rotate freely, it isn't set properly.

The snap setter I use is a 3-piece set.

Snap Setter (1) V2.jpg

The barrel is for guiding the rod and keeping it vertical and centered while holding the top part down tight against the leather. It has two differently recessed ends

One that fits the female (both sizes 24 & 20)

Snap Setter (2) V2.jpg

One that first both sizes of male.

Snap Setter (3) V2.jpg

I agree, that it is important to get the snap tight.  It's also important to make sure that enough of the mating parts protrude to get a solid overlap when to peen the parts together.

I'm not having an issue with the snap failing, but rather they just come unsnapped to easily.  

I found a test snap I did and its okay, but I still dont like how the rivet tore, it holds fine but I havent used it more than a few times.

7 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I'm not having an issue with the snap failing, but rather they just come unsnapped to easily.  

I have the opposite problem with them.  If they install correctly (I usually have to drill out one of every three) they hold too tight and tear out if used on thin leather.  After seeing Josh's setting tools, I suspect that's my problem.  My setter doesn't include that thin one, and the main tool is not hollow.  And if course I have the milling attachment on the lathe, set up for cutting the nail nick in folders with a 1/2" dovetail cutter.  Much better results than a Dremel, just slow and painstaking to set up, and there's a little flex when I try to lengthen the groove.  Might need a 3/4" dovetail cutter, oh darn! :lol:  But, I want to leave it there for a while, so I can't use it to make copies of Josh's tools.  Probably shouldn't have sold the little lathe. I must say the bench space come in handy, though.  

Hmm, perhaps the cheepo line 24 anvil that came with my tools is letting the top snap spread open a bit and loosen the snaps...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Hmm, perhaps the cheepo line 24 anvil that came with my tools is letting the top snap spread open a bit and loosen the snaps...

I also typically lay a piece of garment leather on the anvil cup to keep the anvil from marring the top of the snap. 

Sounds like either you got a bad batch of snaps, or you aren't bottoming out the post in the female. If that post isn't low enough, it keeps the snap from fully setting and it will come undone with very light pressure.

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I have the opposite problem with them.  If they install correctly (I usually have to drill out one of every three) they hold too tight and tear out if used on thin leather. 

How thin a leather are we talking here?

Edited by Joshua States
correction

1.5 oz calfskin.  Yeah, I know...:rolleyes:. But it makes such nice and flexible pouch sheaths, even when doubled!  It's really for wrapping sword grips, of course.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:05 AM, Alan Longmire said:

1.5 oz calfskin.  Yeah, I know...:rolleyes:. But it makes such nice and flexible pouch sheaths, even when doubled!  It's really for wrapping sword grips, of course.

Back that up with another heavier piece of leather?

Yeah, that's what I've ended up doing.

I have a kydex holster that has pull the dot brand snaps and they are no joke. Not sure where to buy them though. They need to be oiled because they snap so tight. 

Just an update since this thread go broughback up on its own:

I bought some pull the dot snaps, but was too cheap to buy the special setting tool just to try them out.  If I can figure out how to get these things set, I'll report back.

I've got some sheath work in my near future that will motivate me to get this sorted out.  Lately I've been distracted with some other knifey things.