Joshua States

UGH. Another trip to the ER

WARNING! Graphic content.

Well, it wasn't today, it was yesterday and another great reminder that safety is #1 priority. Wire wheels are IMO the most dangerous tool in the shop. They also have a way of throwing a small wire at precisely the correct angle that it will squeeze through that small gap between your dust mask and your safety glasses. I bought a full face shield today.

Bloody eye V3.jpg

Ouch! The cheap tiny ones for dremels are pretty dangerous, they just fly apart.

I use a full face shield and earmuffs whenever I use my angle grinder.

Ouch!  Heal well and soon Joshua !

Nasty.......hope it's not serious and you heal up soon Joshua!

Gah!  Ouch!  :ph34r:

Not fun!  I always wear my safety glasses when I'm forging, grinding, and buffing.  I may have to reconsider the full face mask.  Hopefully everything heals up alright!

Posted (edited)

I think I've said it before a few times, eyes are magnets.  I know the doc tells me their just organs but I could swear they are magnets.

For all whirly things that spin at crazy speeds, I always have safety glasses with a face shield on.  Goggles are best, IF they are worn and fit properly. 

My recent eye trouble was while I was cutting with a torch, hit a pocket of slag that went *pop* (I was crouched and leaning over at the time) molten metal jumped, feel between the gap in my googles and face - bounced off the inside lens and POW! Right into my left eye.   It looked like a fire work coming straight at me. Washed out my eye for about 20 mins, went to some urgent care just in-case there was anything left in there.  I cussed for all the 20 mins because it was my fault for not making sure I had a proper fit.

I consider that overly lucky as the doc checked me out and said there was nothing in the eye, and it looked as if I had 2 small burns in the corners of the pink tissue of that eye. 

I see an ophthalmologist regularly these days for another trouble and I bother him continually about checking for metal in my eyes.  Take heart in knowing if you have an emergency for an MRI, you will have your face x-rayed before the procedure just to check for metal fragments in the eyes. 

I stress eye care. I've worked with guys that use no eye protection and think holy cow! if and when they get something in there eye, they will regret the method's used to get it out. Especially when it's a preventable thing.

Edited by Daniel W

Posted (edited)

This spring I had a metal particle removed from my cornea. They had to grind my eye with a mini Dremel to remove the rust that started spreading. It was a very weird feeling I tell you!

How's your eye doing now Joshua?

Edited by Joël Mercier

11 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

This spring I had a metal particle removed from my cornea. They had to grind my eye with a mini Dremel to remove the rust that started spreading. It was a very weird feeling I tell you!

Same! I couldn't find it until it was all rusty. The third time I used the jagged edge of a zip tie to dig a piece out. Still had to go to the doctor because of the damage I caused. 

And yikes! That looks like it hurt like hell Joshua! I bet you stomped and cursed with that one!

On 7/30/2019 at 12:13 PM, steven smith said:

Harbor freight has a face shield for about four dollars, ive had mine for a year, get one. 

I bought 2 of them. Have you ever worn one when it's 120*F in your shop? 

On 7/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, Joël Mercier said:

How's your eye doing now Joshua? 

On 7/30/2019 at 2:36 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Same! I couldn't find it until it was all rusty. The third time I used the jagged edge of a zip tie to dig a piece out. Still had to go to the doctor because of the damage I caused. 

And yikes! That looks like it hurt like hell Joshua! I bet you stomped and cursed with that one!

In the ER after dying the eyeball and poking around with the black light, the PA couldn't see anything. Then she ordered the X-ray to see if there was anything imbedded. They took the X-ray of the whole head. It came back negative. Nothing to see in there. :D Two days later I was in the Ophthalmologist's office. He didn't see anything either except a big cut across the eyeball. 

All good here.

• Like 1

Sorry if I came off as rude, im sure I do with half the stuff I say here as im not good at communicating online. 

Im going blind in one eye and it really makes a difference, im not sure if I can see straight lines anymore, one eye is not half as good as two. Its my right eye thats bad and thats my dominant side.

Even though I wear my safety glasses in the shop, I have been using goggles over them, in part due to your injury....always good to use as much safety gear as possible. Glad you are ok.