Over the years of our student/teacher relationship, Tim Hancock gave me some pieces of Damascus he made that either didn't turn out to his liking, or failed to meet his standards for one reason or another. Most of them I made into blades in what I dubbed my HT Series of knives.

I still have a couple of them, including this beast.

HT Steel V2.JPG

The steel is very solid with no weld flaws. The edge area is 11 inches (28 CM) long, OAL is 14-5/8 (37,8 CM) inches. Width is 1-3/8 inches (3,5 cm). Thickness at spine is .343 inches (8,7 mm)

The pattern is what knifemakers call "Wolf's tooth" or half-ladder. There is enough steel left to create a longer blade and still have a sizeable tang. I cannot do any serious forging to shape, but some moderate work will not disrupt the pattern significantly. I am thinking I could forge the spine thinner and make the blade a little wider. It would have to be a full bevel/no ricasso style knife unless I ground, or cut out that partial ground portion at the back end of the edge and had a ricasso that was about half as wide as the bevel. 

What do you guys think? A big carving knife? A Viking war knife? A dirk? Looking for ideas here.

Edited by Joshua States
23 hours ago, sam uke said:

Have you considered a tanto? 

No, I haven't. Japanese Blades freak me out :o and I know zippo about them. Don't let that stymie the conversation though.

14 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I vote Viking war knife, but then I usually do...

This is something that I would seriously consider, but isn't it too wide already? (same for the tanto?)

Edited by Joshua States
  • Haha 1
On 8/1/2019 at 8:13 AM, Adam Weller said:

I second the viking war knife, with a sweet carved wood and antler handle of course! :D

I think you wanna do a collaboration. :D

On 8/2/2019 at 8:40 PM, Joshua States said:

I think you wanna do a collaboration. :D

Ha, that’s a scary thought... that’s a whole other step out of my comfort zone, but kinda sounds fun. Realize of course that my timeline with this kind of thing is almost on a geologic time frame :blink:

10 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

Ha, that’s a scary thought... that’s a whole other step out of my comfort zone, but kinda sounds fun. Realize of course that my timeline with this kind of thing is almost on a geologic time frame :blink:

Done. Someday I'll send you a blade and ask you to put a handle on it. Someday later, you can send it back and tell me how much you want for the work.

I think this'll turn out good for you guys! I bet the original maker of the blade (though I didnt know Mr. Hancock) would be honored. In a way it's like a collaboration of the three of you.

If you go through with it I hope you'll share the result! 

12 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

Well, I was looking for a project for next winter.... ^_^ guess I’ve got my answer. Let me know what kind of blade shape your thinking and I’ll start doodling :D

By "next winter" you do mean like November 2020, right? 

Sure! I liked the way you put it:

14 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Someday I'll send you a blade and ask you to put a handle on it. Someday later, you can send it back...

I’m good for whenever you are. Just let me know when you need an address.

• Thanks 1
On 8/5/2019 at 4:14 AM, Zeb Camper said:

I think this'll turn out good for you guys! I bet the original maker of the blade (though I didnt know Mr. Hancock) would be honored. In a way it's like a collaboration of the three of you.

If you go through with it I hope you'll share the result! 

I'm thinking this piece of steel isn't the one for collaboration. I'm thinking of making another blade and using this, or something from here, for inspiration.

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I like it! 

How do you guys work bone? I've been using hand chisels and patience, but Its tough!

Seriously? I have been waiting for you to make a suggestion for this piece of steel, and you ask about working bone? :wacko:

4 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I'm thinking this piece of steel isn't the one for collaboration. I'm thinking of making another blade and using this, or something from here, for inspiration.

So are you not thinking a big gnarly Viking war knife? With the wolf’s tooth pattern I was thinking more of a long carved wooden handle with engraved antler accents (in Powning type style), but it looks like your thinking more of a straight Sami style knife with engraving?

4 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I like it! 

How do you guys work bone? I've been using hand chisels and patience, but Its tough!

I don’t want to derail the thread but I’ll try to answer your question...

Depends on what your doing. The Sami style engraving like I described on my recent WIP takes a really sharp chisel and your only cutting like a mm deep. If you want to do more of a “carving” your going to look more at Maori style which was traditionally done with larger gravers, but nowadays is more likely to be done with a dremel tool. 

Of note, Sami engraving was done on antler (significantly softer than bone) Maori carving was indeed done on bone (traditionally whale bone - but now more likely to be cow bone).

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

So are you not thinking a big gnarly Viking war knife? With the wolf’s tooth pattern I was thinking more of a long carved wooden handle with engraved antler accents (in Powning type style), but it looks like your thinking more of a straight Sami style knife with engraving?

Are you asking about this piece of steel, or some future knife that someday I'll send your way?

For this piece of steel, I am still open to ideas. I am getting fond of that straight spine style of blade recently and those Sami knives seem to have a lot of that.

27 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Seriously? I have been waiting for you to make a suggestion for this piece of steel, and you ask about working bone? :wacko:

Sorry :lol: 

I thought about sketching something up when you first posted, but idk what the pattern in the blade looks like and I feel like I probably get bothersome when I do that. The pattern will have some sway to the design choices. I gotta sketch a blade out for a potential customer tomarrow night anyway. Got any better shots? 

10 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Are you asking about this piece of steel, or some future knife that someday I'll send your way?

For this piece of steel, I am still open to ideas. I am getting fond of that straight spine style of blade recently and those Sami knives seem to have a lot of that.

Well originally we were talking about this piece, it made me think of something like this:

http://powning.com/jake/swords/dwine-broadseax/

In regards to a collaboration - Heck, I’ll just work with whatever shows up B)

10 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Got any better shots?

I could put it through a light etch tomorrow. Will post another pic.

11 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

Well originally we were talking about this piece, it made me think of something like this:

Hmm. I could do that for either project, maybe even both.

my question is what do you plan to do to get a tang, as it looks like there is some grinding done behind the plunges.

If you are going to forge the tang in, I second (or third or fourth ) the war knife idea, some bone or antler and bog would look pretty slick on that profile regardless of the pattern.

13 hours ago, Robert D. said:

my question is what do you plan to do to get a tang, as it looks like there is some grinding done behind the plunges.

If you are going to forge the tang in, I second (or third or fourth ) the war knife idea, some bone or antler and bog would look pretty slick on that profile regardless of the pattern.

Robert,  It depends on what style of knife I would make.

For the Seax/Viking type of blade with no ricasso: In the picture below, the area in the blue square gets forged into a tang, the part behind the existing plunge cuts gets ground into  more bevel eliminating plunge cuts.

For a more Bowie/Fighter with a ricasso, the are in the red square becomes the ricasso, the partial beveled area below it gets cut out, and the blue area and part between the blue and red, gets forged into a tang.

InkedHT Steel V3_LI Opt.jpg

17 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Got any better shots?

A couple today.

Pattern (1) V2.jpg

Pattern (2) V2.jpg

• Like 1

Got off work early... Got a splitting headache. 

Here's a sketch. I got inspired more after I drew it. 

A northern lights motif would be cool. Incorporate carvings of stars. Incorporate the moon as the central inlay of bone between the knotwork. Incorporate silver somewhere. Dark wood, white bone, and a high contrast etch. 

Insert cool name. 

20190807_183602.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Like 2