Sign in to follow this  
Joshua States

Design options

Coming down off my headache now, I think there was missed opportunity for concepts in the drawing... what do you think?

Then there's this...

you'd have to figure out the inscription for old norse/Icelandic. 

"Light of the north" comes to mind. 

15652260134344069287877748000152.jpg

• Like 2

Dayum man. What do you say guys? Can This guy draw or what!

What are all those fiddly bits in the second drawing?

• Like 1

Thanks! I just wish I could make em how I draw em'! 

And, dont let this come across as more than ideas. It's your say goes. I just like doodling. Use any of the idea you want though!

The second pic is a stack of bone/antler, or cast white metal. Silver in color. On the bolster there are moon phases scrimshawed with shading to show the phase with full on one side all the way to new on the other. a metal spacer sits below that. Then might be a dark wood maybe figured maple with a grey/black/green vinegaroon finish, or bog oak inlaid with strips of bone with semi circles (wavy lines may look better) to symbolize the northern lights. These strips border a carving suggestive of knotwork featuring thor's hammer toward the butt. In the center of the handle, a diamond shaped inlay of more bone; a star scrimshawed into it. The back end would be more antler scrimshawed with geometric patterns and perhaps a runic inscription. Finally a metal buttcap, loop, and ring secured with metal pins into the handle. 

I’m digging the northern lights thing, but I might be biased at the moment as I’m in Banff at the moment. I have been hoping to catch a display of the aurora, but it seems we are in a really slow sun cycle.

I’ll have to doodle some too... 

Totally intimidating design......:blink:

I have a couple of nice Pyrenean Boxwood blocks that I am waiting for a project to do some more wood carving. (Petr Floiniak and Jake Cleland both like boxwood. I think it was Petr who called it "antler for vegetarians") It's not dark by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a nice gold color. I do have a bunch of elk antler. It's really pithy so that's a maybe. I do have some ivory......hmm. Risky business, that would look cool.

18 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

And, dont let this come across as more than ideas. It's your say goes. I just like doodling. Use any of the idea you want though!

I love tossing ideas around and seeing what pops up. 2 people come up with 4 times as many ideas a s 1 person. I like the moon motif. Not sure about the northern lights. I have seen the lights and cannot visualize how to get that in the carving. Maybe in a few years after a hundred or so more carving attempts.:lol:

17 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

I’ll have to doodle some too... 

Go for it. I'm open to suggestion on this one.

I had this idea of making a Seax type of blade and carving the face of Hel in the handle. I would call it "Hel's Defier". This is all going to sit for a while (along with everything else I've been working on) as I just scored a commission that's due in October. I spent yesterday making the steel.

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

Not sure about the northern lights. I have seen the lights and cannot visualize how to get that in the carving. Maybe in a few years after a hundred or so more carving attempts.:lol:

I was thinking the northern lights would be represented by the steel, that picture you showed after the etch looked like an aurora type pattern to me.

That's what I was thinking as well. But jve only seen pics of the lights so idk. 

1 hour ago, Adam Weller said:

I was thinking the northern lights would be represented by the steel, that picture you showed after the etch looked like an aurora type pattern to me.

Doh!

Mr. O'blivious strikes again. :blink: