Joshua States

Finished KITH 2019 Entries

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the honesty, :) I’m sure there were more people that thought the same thing,  I’m often asked if I’ve quit making knives yet..  have I quit yet.. I think that’s coming from the fact that so many of the teenagers growing up in my generation have never wanted to commit to anything, but I hope I’ve convinced you all that I am in this for the long haul, and I’m fully committed to it.  And I’m fully willing to do what ever it takes to make this trade my life. 

Sorry for the rant y’all :lol: and sorry for mostly highjacking the thread. I’m done I promise! 

I think the quote is supposed to be at the top :huh:

31 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Conner, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you here. Back in January when you kicked this off and threw your hat in the ring, I thought to myself "He will never complete this, but I give him credit for taking that step". Over the last 8 months, I have watched your trials and efforts and I have been impressed by your determination most of all. I am at the point where I really want you to finish this knife.

Edited by Conner Michaux

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

Nobody will have any issues with any knife in KITH.

I'm glad that this is the attitude across all the participants. Well said all the way around, Joshua.

@Conner Michaux were all rooting for you here, man. You're off to a great start.

The fact that you have stuck with it through your successes and failures shows you have drive, Not every kid at your age has that. 

To quote The Offspring " You're gunna go far kid " 

What everyone else said! I've always believed you had what it takes Conner! 

I'm sending you all a group hug!.. Dont fight it. Just let it happen. ^_^

• Haha 2

Hey brothers in fire. I haven't been here long and I certainly don't have enough experience to suggest anything but has there ever been an ambiguous KITH? Say a blade or item with little requirements(except of course weight, size, ect). Something everyone wanted to just make or do that doesn't exactly fit into any normal criteria? I guess like a signature style of item. I'm certainly not able to this year but I'd love to join in kith the next go-round. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JohnK said:

Hey brothers in fire. I haven't been here long and I certainly don't have enough experience to suggest anything but has there ever been an ambiguous KITH? Say a blade or item with little requirements(except of course weight, size, ect). Something everyone wanted to just make or do that doesn't exactly fit into any normal criteria? I guess like a signature style of item. I'm certainly not able to this year but I'd love to join in kith the next go-round. 

The KITH records are here going back to 2011, and I don't think that idea has been done. I have only participated in two KITH events. I think the idea is worthy of discussion, so I'll add my perspective.

A very large part of knife making (and life in general) for me is learning how to focus my intent. A very large driver in anyone's growth in a craft is being able to take a fairly specific set of parameters (say, from a potential customer) that may not be currently in your skillset, and meeting that with a finished product. I make my "signature" pieces (if I even have them) all the time. Sometimes I step outside my little box and try new techniques, pattern welded steel designs, or different cultural forms, but in the end, I need to make stuff I can sell. I enjoy the challenge of designing and creating within a defined set of limits. It focuses my intent on the creative process. 

I don't know if you have read the threads that lead up to the parameters of what the KITH will be, but it really is a community discussion and decision. One of the serious considerations is the international nature of forum participants and differing carry laws in the states. Some things simply are not legal to own everywhere. So if I were to make one of my standard Bowie knives, I probably couldn't send it to several of the participants. That's kind of problematic as we found out in 2016. (although that KITH was one of the coolest projects I ever tried to do as it was very challenging)

Another important aspect of KITH that stands out for me is having beginners join and really push themselves to make something specific, to focus their intent. This is how we learn, through specific assignments and structures. Most beginners don't really have a "signature" anything. They are just scraping the surface of the artform. It really helps them to have a set of parameters to shoot for and experienced smiths to watch and learn from.

Sometimes the more experienced smiths join the KITH because there's a set of parameters or a style that they haven't yet tried, or it's something they haven't done in a long time. This way everyone learns, everyone steps out of their boxes, and everyone grows as a smith.

Maybe I need to revive the Challenge Project thread

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 2

Noted! I don't mind trying anything new. I certainly need to expand on my styles and techniques. I apologize for not being very specific about the parameters. I meant open style within parameters. Of course any set standard is just fine by me, ya know gotta learn somehow and forced criteria is a good teacher. Though for me sales aren't important. If I sell any then yay? If not then meh. I just enjoy the craft. As a beginner I do have a signature style and I'm trying to get away from it. I've made 6 in the last 2 months and they ALL LOOK THE DAMN SAME! I didn't even realize it until last night while testing a blower design. Decided to test the heat with a 6inch chunk of flat stock and when I finished I was like that's neat.....oh crap it's the same thing hahaha. Willing to try fail or praise is all about getting better.

Posted (edited)

Here is my kith entry, Still needs an edge, but it’s currently glueing up. far better than my past work, I’ll be posting an actually thread about this one for critique. 

Attempting to make a sheath today, no promises though. 

this is my third knife, and when threw my hat in the ring for kith I hadn’t even completed a single knife yet. 

Is the name drawing happening tonight? 

5A5CFD63-2124-4CBB-AA39-80FBEC41BACD.jpeg

34C0D52C-69E4-4B3C-98D6-15ED5C3540CE.jpeg

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Very auspicious Conner. You are the 13th finished piece this year!

Edited by Joshua States

So, we're all done?  13 people, yes?  Somebody make a list and the good Dr. King will draw numbers this afternoon.

Posted (edited)

1. Joshua States 

2. Alan Longmire 

3. Chad Scott

4. Alex Middleton 

5. Brian Daugherty 

6. Gary LT

7. Peter-Paul Dirks 

8. Luke S

9. Zeb Camper 

10. Bruno 

11. Charles duPreez 

12. Robert D 

13. Conner Michaux 

Edited by Zeb Camper

That's not 100% the correct order I'm sure, but I was going off my shotty short term memory. 

That matches what I'm seeing, so last call!  Anyone who has not posted their KITH blade, you have approximately three hours to do so.  The drawing will take place at 5:30 U.S. Eastern time, GMT-5.