Sign in to follow this  
Gary LT

18th bowie with blued wrought 410 spacers deer antler handle

Here is one Knife I wanted to do for some time. I finished this a couple of weeks ago.

i wanted a thick steel flat ground with distal taper and the point always shows you where it’s at, for control. I forged a piece of Aldo’s W2 and drew out the tang then shaped the poInt. The majority of the sanding was belt sanded at reserve angles, with 80 grit then 180 grit. The rest is hand sanded up to 800 grit. I use a piece of 3” wide glazed ceramic tile for hand sanding.

The hardware is long round bar of genuine wrought. Although the wrought was drawn out over many heats to about 3/8” thick. I then cut, sanded and prepped  each piece to fit 410 stainless in smaller proportions to the wrought, each also rectangular but progressively shaping to the round handle. I wanted a “real blued” look and chose Van’s gun blue which worked perfectly. The handle is a piece of Axis-deer antler, ( less pith & deeper white bone structure). I gave it a full 24 soak in hydrogen peroxide to clean it white before starting. Each 410/wrought is silver soldered together, then filed for spacing. The guard was forged and drawn out flat, then filed to shape. The “leaves” are finished with jeweler files. Once I had the guard slot fit to the tang, i did each of the other pieces fitting each progressively to each other and the tang. Finally I silver soldered each together. The tang extends into the pommel by way of a threaded join. I chose to add epoxy to make it permanent. 

I wasn’t sure how the bluing would show up on wrought, though initial test looked good. However, I am very pleased with the bluing results with only two applications the result is a pretty midnight blue. 

So I just wanted to share this with everyone. As time allows, the sheath will be finished. Right now, I’ll use black leather with an off white inlay lengthwise, final design pending.......All photos will come later.

Gary LT

172D7D57-BED7-4ACC-946E-AB0B166104D1.jpeg

A10CC7AE-AA6B-44BF-82E7-D6E49FCE40BE.jpeg

CED8D48C-B5B7-4527-9343-8C97C6E10D41.jpeg

319D5E28-CD1B-4E75-832B-6A70DF75B861.jpeg

96608BC5-49E7-451C-B98F-5526E00655CE.jpeg

73776801-4EEF-41D3-AF21-1CE9306F78A3.jpeg

39BB618C-88A7-4927-A973-BDF207C0EF97.jpeg

• Like 4

I really like this knife, well done!

The simple lines of the blade and the contrast of the handle works for me, good call on the bluing. 

Hey Gerhard, thank you for responding! Makes me feel quite well someone reached out to add their thoughts. Well appreciated sir!

Gary LT

I keep coming back to look at this one.  I really like what you did with the hardware.

I had no idea wrought would take bluing like that.  I'm also impressed at the result you achieved with a cold blue treatment.  I would have bet those were done in a hot-blue tank.

Well done!

Whew, thanks Brian, I really appreciate your comments as I respect your work a lot. Yep, I am sold on Van’s, as I got a deep midnight blue and easy enough. (Have to try more metals) This was a “too long” project:huh:!

Gary LT

Nice work there Gary. The leaf-filework looks especially well done.

Thank you Charles.......I am planning to do another design in similar fashion soon! I really appreciate everyone’s response.

GaryLT

I think you knocked it out of the park, Gary!

As has been said, im impressed with the bluing you got from the cold blue treatment, especially only a few applications. The contrast between the light and dark elements of the handle is an eye catcher. I like how light you got the antler, and the leaves are a very nice touch. 

There is elegance in the simplicity of the lines of this knife. I am looking forward to seeing the sheath.

I really appreciate your thoughts Will, it means a lot to get feedback from others on this site., especially this site!! I had some black leather, but had to use most of it on something, sI I’ll be shopping a while. Would prefer already dyed, but if not I’ll dye myself. All my sheaths are completely and laboriously hand made, no machines, so it will take some time!

Thank you again Will!

Gary LT