Gary Mulkey

A Pair of 5 Inchers

Last month's article in Blade Magazine talked about the recent popularity  of 5" fixed bladed knives which inspired me to make a  pair for the showcase.  One here has a 336 layer random pattern  damascus blade and the other a mono-steel  blade of W1.  Both will get handles of  desert ironwood with 416 fittings.

IMG_5813_opt

I got the first handle & guard roughed out before  the summer heat today brought me to a halt.  It has 10 to  the inch checkering on  the front of the handle with the back half being contoured.  The guard is from 1/2" 416 stainless.

IMG_5817_opt

The second will get a hilt similar to  this but with ironwood:

IMG_4537_opt_opt

• Like 3

Another subtly hilarious thread title! Great knives as always from you Gary.

• Thanks 1

I wish I had a five-incher...

I have just enough of a bar of steel left that I was thinking about making a couple of knives of similar size.  I'll have to study your handle shape on the checkered one a bit because I really struggle to get those shaped right.  I know it should be simple, but every time I just shape one by instinct I end up with something that looks like it belongs in a Picasso painting.

• Like 1

One completed, one under way:

I'm not sure if I  will use ivory or bone for the inlaid escutcheons.  I'll  have to  check  my stash.;)

IMG_5831_opt

• Like 4

Personally, I think a 5 inch blade makes the perfect all around field utility knife. I really like that sculpted handle Gary.

• Thanks 1

I got the handle components roughed out today.  (the inlay material is bone, handle is ironwood, guard is 416)   This will give me something to work on while in my public shop later this week.

IMG_5856_opt

• Like 1