Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dougherty

Lansky sharpener stand

Posted (edited)

I know a lot of folks don't care for the Lansky style sharpening systems, and I wish I was good enough at sharpening to do it freehand.  The truth is that I am not, and I can get a much more consistent edge, much more quickly using one.  For the time being I am pretty dependent on one.

One thing that I hate about them is how awkward they are to hold while using them.  I don't know how many times I have sliced some part of me open fumbling around with the off-balanced package of a blade clamped in the guide/holder.

I just bought this clamp, and it is a game changer.  It is not designed to hold the system firmly.  It is more if a rest so that the hand holding the guide/blade can focus only on orientation and leave the weight bearing to the bench.  If you use one of these sharpeners, this thing is well worth the $14 I paid for it.

IMG_20190731_180022031.jpg

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Hi Brian

Pic isn't showing for me....

Sharpening is currently my biggest problem, Lansky gives me the best results, but.......

I invested in the diamond stones after struggling with the normal ones, but after sharpening a Spyderco Mule in Maxamet (a gift), a few of my O1 blades I left a bit hard and 2x 14C28N steak knives, my Extra Course diamond stone is toast.......

This could become expensive very quickly.....

My stand is an appropriately sized drill bit with the tip glued into a wood base and insulation tape wrapped up to cover the edges and form a stop.  Works well enough.

I just reattached the pic.  Hopefully it is up now.

Your solution sounds like it would pretty much do the same thing.

I also like the diamond hones.  I only have the 120-grit one, but it is what I use to put the initial bevel on any blade I make.  After that, I find the stones work pretty well.

Pic showing now, thanks.

Forgot to mention, my worst cuts have been while using the Lansky :lol:

I believe a good 70% of the blades I sharpened on the Lansky was simply too large for the system.

Funny thing is this became an issue as my equipment "improved".  When I only had the 1x30" I did FFG or high saber grinds with a convex zero-edge put on using the baby belt grinder.

Still a recipe I believe in but I realized that for people that would be even harder to sharpen.....I'm not Bark River Knives and I don't have their educated clients B)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I am not good at freehand sharpening. I got a wicked edge sharpener. It is easy to use and works great. Below is a link to their sight and a link to their forum. 

https://wickededgeusa.com/

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/

Edited by Bill Kirkley

I normally clamp the unused side of the angle guides in a small vise.  My trouble with this thing is that it never holds the blade tight enough.  Even with light strokes of the stones I used to pop the knife right out of the clamp.  I tend to somehow lose the edge once I get to the 800 grit stone as well. 

Next is just a preference thing.  I want to use a stone that has the maximum amount of contact with the bevel.

These days, I rough in the edge with a slow wheeled tool sharpener. Once I've got it, do a few passes by hand with a wet stone for the heavy grits.  Then I use wet dry paper backed with a ceramic tile, then strop.