Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Bondurant

Whats the latest on Kydex, 2019

I got my first piece of Kydex in 1997, OKC. Was fascinated with the stuff for a long time then went back to leather. Now I need some  scabbards and holsters for a zero humidity environment which is literally hell on leather so looking again at Kydex. Having been out of the loop on it, whats the latest information, new brand names, and good sources? 

We had a guy, years ago that was selling an alternative to Kydex, very similar, was designed for the interior on aircraft. I cannot remember the name of it but it seems there would be more knock off or even improved versions by now. Thanks for any input into this,,,,, 

Nobody using Kydex anymore? I found some that seems plenty cheap enough but would rather hear from members where they are getting theirs? 

Well, this forum does tend more towards the historical, so I'm not too surprised.  Ask member James Helm, he's been doing a lot of interesting things with Kydex variants.  

Anyone that ever reads this,,,,,,,,, You can always depend on Alan Longmire to have some kind of legitimate answer. Thanks Alan,, I pretty much have it figured out now. Will eventually have something to show. 

@Bryan Bondurant since my dad started making leather sheaths for me I could hang up my Kydex press :P

Just kidding....I don't have a press, I use a few pieces of wood, yoga mat and bench vice......and I'm busy with 2 sheaths, first in a while.

I've taken to covering the kydex with thin leather.

At first I only had access to a "ABS kydex alternative", not sure which is stronger but since getting real Kydex I can't help but think I prefer the alternative.

Currently I only use the real Kydex when I'm not going to cover with leather.....nicer texture vs. the tacky patterning on the ABS. 

Gerhard,,,, thanks, I'm really a leather guy but I live close to death valley, mostly its zero humidity and hotter than heck in summer, so leather dries up quick. I have a pretty nice custom saddle that I had to pull apart after a couple years here. That and mostly here people are into molly so kydex straps up better. What kind of glue are you using to glue the leather to kydex? Can I come hunting and fishing with you????? Thanks 

Hi Bryan

I use contact adhesive....carpet glue.

I used 4mm Copper rivets on all the sheaths except one that we stitched like you do leather.

My own big camp knife has a sheath like that and it's proven very durable.

Worst drought in a 100 years so not a good time for fishing, and hunting I'm afraid is a rich man's game over here......and I'm not that! :lol:

You have an exchange rate on your side and Namibia is the African country where you are least likely to get killed, not a complete sh1thole......yet.

If you do come hunting I'll buy you a beer at the very least. 

Bolatron is a Kydex alternate, I'm not aware of any others offhand but others may exist.

Bolatron is a trademarked thermoforming plastic marketed to aviation for its fire-retardant nature. 

I buy Kydex from Interstate Plastics and get decent sales support and good offers on closeouts occassionally. 

Kerri

I would like to see how you guys are accomplishing a belt loop. I THINK  I have a plan...but haven tried it yet.

If it works I will post a pic. 

@Kreg Whitehead You can look on almost any leatherwork forum for loops and holders- thermoforming is literally the same as the "Casing" or "Wet forming" for leather-

Look up Phlster on youtube

Heres one that is pretty comprehensive for shapes and styles- I am not affiliated with his site but have utilized similar solutions in a few sheath and carry issues where customers needed a different option: http://www.goldenstonebazaar.com/options-belt-loops.html

There is a fellow who has a press for his loops and it works well from the person I know who bought it- once again- no personal experience or affiliation: https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/diez-design-belt-loop-forming-jig-p-15147.html

Hope this helps- lots of more professional guys than me are here- hopefully they will chime in. Not to hijack the thread- Be safe all and enjoy your weekend!

• Thanks 1

I was able to finish 3 kydex sheaths over the weekend.

My plan for a belt loop appears to have worked....but I think I am going to shorten one of them.

kydex1.jpg

kydex2.jpg

Looks good but you may want to consider using chicago screws or bookbinding screws for the loop. It will afford 2 things to the design- you can 1-remove it if it is not needed, and 2- rivets like this will scar/scuff leather belts and may create hot spots and pinch points on the belt/waistband.

Just a design consideration- look at adding a couple of "Holes" on the body of the sheath so the user can move the loop for diagonal/horizontal/vertical carry at their need- Only thoughts.

Keep going looks great BRAVO for pushing the idea forward- do it again and again- TAKE NOTES on your designs so when you find one you LIKE its easy to replicate! (It really is a list of why somethign does NOT work vs what is good- but it helps you not make the same mistakes again!)

Keep us posted!

Thanks, Im back in Texas and spent the last couple days rebuilding my old saddle. Still interested in what everyone is doing with kydex and have a coulple projects.