Sign in to follow this  
Garry Keown

Todays leatherwork

Just have tyo hot wax these now. Waiting on the customer to make up his mind on the handle materia for the chef knife though

CxfiLfGl.jpg

A9r7K8Kl.jpg

uoI2VhHl.jpg

KWt4R9dl.jpg

Very nice Garry.  I tried your hot waxing method the other day, it worked great.  Is there a trick to keeping the wax from building up in the stitching holes?  It took me forever to clean them out afterwards.

7 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Very nice Garry.  I tried your hot waxing method the other day, it worked great.  Is there a trick to keeping the wax from building up in the stitching holes?  It took me forever to clean them out afterwards.

That is an indication that the wax is not hot enough Alex or the sheath is cod when it goes into the wax. I will do another video when I do my waxing today and try to include all the relevant details as I have changed a couple of things from when I made my earlier video.

Edited by Garry Keown

That would be great.  I tried to follow the other video as close as I could and actually thought I had the wax too hot at around 260f according to my oil thermometer and the sheaths were right around 100f or so.  I'm looking forward to your new video.

Yes 260 is a bit hot and can start to shrink or burn the leather if left in too long. The belt loop in particular is prone to this being narrower than the main body of the sheath. Have the video done so having a slow upload will be a couple of hours till I can post it.

Thanks Garry.  I really appreciate you taking the time to make and post that.  I'll try preheating a bit longer and hotter next time, hopefully it'll save me the time it took to pick the wax out of all of the thread holes.

My sheath maker is my 73 year old Dad, he does a bloody good job and it just got better thanks to this piece of advice!

It took a while to complete his youtube research but he hot waxed the first few sheaths yesterday and we're both blown away by the results!

Thank you @Garry Keown

• Like 1

I have got to try this. If for no other reason than to make my wife agitated.

• Haha 1

Got these sewn up and hot waxed today. There were another 8 but they are for next lot of knives.

IMG_20191031_155326.jpg

• Like 2

Gary why hot wax your sheaths instead of putting a couple good coats of resolene on them???

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

Gary why hot wax your sheaths instead of putting a couple good coats of resolene on them???

Because it works best for the outcomes I want. Water PROOFING (not just protection) and stiffens the leather to hold its form

7 hours ago, JeffM said:

I used Resolene for years and never really liked the "plastic" feel it left on the surface. I have switched back to Neatsfoot oil, but would really like a way to water proof and hold the shape.