Sign in to follow this  
Bob Ouellette

First knife completed in 5 years

I haven't forged or finished anything in quite some time, so I'm pretty proud of the way this one turned out. There's a small defect I couldn't polish out, but it doesn't affect the function at all. It's easily my best piece to date. 1084, brass, and cocobolo with a through tang.

IMG_20190805_210610-800x600.jpg

IMG_20190805_210924-800x600.jpg

IMG_20190805_210943-800x600.jpg

Welcome back to it.  You dropped out about the same time I started.  Let's hope the relationship doesn't stay reciprocal like that :)

Looks a lot fancier than that mini-sax you used to win the first ever kitchen cutting competition at Harley's Hammer-in lo these many (12? 13? :ph34r:) years ago.  ;)

Seriously though, very nice job!  

Thanks guys! I think my life as a machinist has helped a bit with fit and finish.

@Brian Dougherty I hope we both stick around for quite a while.

@Alan Longmire I was thinking about that hammer in a few weeks ago. It had to have been 13 years ago this year. I doubt this one can cut thinner, but it sure is a lot more comfortable to use! I still use all of the utensils I won on a regular basis. Only the ice cream scoop isn't aging well.

almost like your first knife then, i like that upwards handle placement as it differs from traditional

9 hours ago, Karim said:

almost like your first knife then, i like that upwards handle placement as it differs from traditional

Almost! I'm a machinist professionally, so there are a bunch of little things, along with maturing and being patient and not trying to take a shortcut have really improved my knives.