Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard Gerber

Platen build

It's been a week with no further replies from the supplier of my grinders, so I guess I'm on my own.

My plan is to have about 70/80mm wheels cut from aluminium and nice, big bearings, and a considerably longer platen than I have now.

The frame of the grinder and the platen intrudes on the left edge of the current platen which also needs to be eliminated in ver. 2.0

Apart from that, I've rejected every idea I've had for the frame, can't think of a way to achieve clean access to both sides using the bar of mild steel I have.

Any plans, ideas, critiques welcome.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:15 PM, Bob Ouellette said:

Do you have any pictures?

I'll post some, light in my shop is not great (problem) so the photos usually suck.

Spent some time brainstorming with a friend, because I want a longer platen the whole assembly will need to move backwards, meaning I'll need to trim the tool arm shorter most likely.

I hope to visit an engineering shop this week, get some rough pricing and find out how they feel about steel vs Aluminium for the wheels.

Post-brainstorming the 2 big issues are unobstructed access from both sides as well as being able to swivel/tilt the platen to adjust the angle relevant to the work rest.

Got a reply from somebody higher up at the manufacturer with a 3rd version of what went wrong.

Lies break trust, I don't have money to gamble.

Their only suggestion is I send the wheel back to have the bearings replaced.  This is unfortunately not an option because it's a cross-border return to another country with duties and taxes on top of courier fees.

Cheapest option would be to buy a replacement wheel, but the 1st and 2nd excuse I got from the salesperson basically sent that possibility out the window.....

The grinder with the platen fitted, and the platen loose seen from both sides

IMG_20190812_125943[1].jpg

IMG_20190812_130022[1].jpg

IMG_20190812_130031[1].jpg

I'm holding the checker plate roughly where I plan on trimming the frame, the two knobs are what holds the work rest.

2nd photo is the "tool arm" without the platen

IMG_20190812_130116[1].jpg

IMG_20190812_130130[1].jpg