Paul Checa

Antique patina on antlers

Hi guys this has more to do with handles than steel but I believe it to be equally important. Does anyone know how to patina antlers so I can bring out the natural contrasts of the antler? 

Traditionally it was done with potassium permanganate, but I don't know if you can get that in Mexico City.  I have used leather dye with good results, and even (you will like this!) tea and coffee.  Coffee is darker.  Just soak the antler in the coffee (hot or cold) until it's a little darker than you want, then carefully rub the high spots with steel wool to reveal the lighter antler underneath.  If you want a fully antique look, soak or boil it in strong tea.  This gives a uniform dark brown.  Potassium permanganate was originally used as a disinfectant on Sambar stag for export, but it looked so good they still do it.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Traditionally it was done with potassium permanganate, but I don't know if you can get that in Mexico City.  I have used leather dye with good results, and even (you will like this!) tea and coffee.  Coffee is darker.  Just soak the antler in the coffee (hot or cold) until it's a little darker than you want, then carefully rub the high spots with steel wool to reveal the lighter antler underneath.  If you want a fully antique look, soak or boil it in strong tea.  This gives a uniform dark brown.  Potassium permanganate was originally used as a disinfectant on Sambar stag for export, but it looked so good they still do it.  

Awesome!! I figured coffee would be one and I tried it! It actually worked but I will try to get the potassium and I'll let you know how that turns out! Thanks sensei! 

Ohhh and I found the potassium permanganate so if you have the recipe I'd love to have it so I can "bake that cake" hahahaha 

Edited by Paul Checa

IMG-20190810-WA0055.jpeg

So top is coffee middle is black tea and bottom is natural! How do you like them best? 

23 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

They both look good!  A little abrasion with a hard surface (fine sandpaper on a steel bar or something) will make the high spots stand out, if you want them to.

• Thanks 1

I did use  potassium permanganate on stag in the past but it seemed like it faded over time. Been using leather dye for the past 15 years. The knife and sheath in the photo were both done with the same leather dye.

IMG_6227.jpg