JohnK

Assistance request

Hello my fellow smiths. This is my first post so I assume this is the correct place. I have built (after many months of trial and mostly error) a waste oil forge blower assembly. My new issue is that now it's not heating as it was. The old fan burned (from a hair dryer). The new one doesn't seem to produce the same results. I'd say a few hundred degrees cooler. I assumed it was the voltage or even the fan itself, perhaps the design. I guess I made a perfect match and changed a variable. Any ideas fellows?

Screenshot_2019-08-12-21-12-31.jpg

That sir I don't know how to calculate. They are both from hair dryers. The  original was smaller but I'm not certain of the cfm( as it has since melted due to accidents). Though I wouldn't believe there would be much difference. Would more cfm produce better results? I know the chamber is heating to workable temperatures. Not enough air for what it really wants?

My advice would be to do yourself a favor and buy an actual blower. I bought mine from blacksmiths depot. It is a costly venture compared to a hair dryer I'm afraid, but you can also use it for a coal/charcoal forge, or melting/smelting operations. 

I bought the 100 BTU which I run mostly closed off by way of gate valve on my blown burner. 50 btu would have been plenty. I dont regret the purchase. 

Good luck!

Edit: it may have actually been 100cfm... or $100... I dont really recall. I hope someone with a little more wit might steer you in the right direction. 

Edited by Zeb Camper

You can also go to someplace like Ebay and look for party house blowers.  You might have to use a little imagination to figure out how to connect it to the forge and put a gate valve in the line to adjust the air flow but they are relatively inexpensive.

Doug

You may also look for electric leaf blowers. I used one for my initial heat treat coal setup and worked very very well. I had to cover up the air intake on the lowest setting because of the CFM it produced. 

I use a leaf blower on my blown forge as well.  It's loud, and produces waaay to much air, but it works.

Am I wrong to assume the cfm isn't nearly as important as air pressure with forges? I have many squirrel cages that'll summon Satan using only wood. Not coal or charcoal. Wood. But does nothing for a waste oil forge(my many trial and errors). So I assume for waste oil the pressure is what's required to atomize the fuel or at least whip it around enough to make droplets. I do know hairdryers are designed for pressure more than cfm but logically it should work since my first did. I'm wondering if adding a 90 on the exhaust would help? Working to give more hot surface volume for the oil to vaporize? Also a treat so it'll work like a vertical blower.  

Call around your local HVAC guys and ask if they have any oil furnace parts.  Maybe even a whole burner complete with blower and electric ignition.  Those use a pump and a fine nozzle to spray atomized oil into the air blast, and the spark plugs set it off.

This all sounds a little dubious to me.

I think this would fix the issue. I think the air acceleration is low and the fuel is puddling on the back of the reducer and trickling down the pipe and cooling it. 

Screenshot_2019-08-14-09-47-33.jpg

Atomization of a liquid like waste oil will generally require a lot more energy than you can get from a simple venturi.  I think you are going to have to pump the oil into a nozzle to get it to atomize well enough to burn efficiently.  Waste oil burners always freak me out a bit, but I know a few people who have done exactly what Alan suggested.. 

I have already tried :( I live in the south and well I dont believe anywhere around here has those. Even scrap ones. Just doesn't get cold enough. I bump shoulders with many hvac guys. None have even seen one.

Here's one if you have the cash...

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Beckett-B2007-AFG-Flame-Retention-Residential-Oil-Burner?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-yAtYSD5AIVg4vICh1j2w-LEAQYBCABEgJAafD_BwE

I'm on the southern edge of oil burners myself, but I've managed to salvage a couple over the years as replacements for the one in my house furnace if and when it finally dies.  Great cheap heat!

Also, here's just the pump.  A small 3450rpm motor will run it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntec-Oil-Pump-2VA7116/202274776

I know none of that is as simple as a drip-fed oil furnace.  Somewhere on this site there is a guy in New Zealand who built one of those that seemed to work well.  I'll see if I can find it.

I'd totally appreciate that! I know it's stubborn to no just buy what's best but I like the feeling of building it myself. That I know everyone here can understand. I had planned on buying 3" nipple reduced to 1 1/2" as a way to accelerate the air. I know it'll assist in spray. Likely not atomization but once up to temp it should be fine. I've toyed with a pump version for a couple months but either it used way more fuel than its worth or didn't work due to a lean mix. I've seen guys using the design Im using but I'm not all thrilled about the noise of a shop vac or air compressor. Forging should be relaxing and not sound like a airport runway on Christmas eve.