Alan Longmire

Paul Lundquist's Anvil/Vise forging station

This showed up at my local guild meeting last Sunday, and I thought it was just too cool:

02.jpg

The anvil is a 2" x 7" forklift tine and can be mounted skinny side up or flat side up.  Note the fuller ground into the end of the skinny side.

The vise jaws are not fixed, they can be removed and rotated to offer options like a header, a hardy clamp, two different opening widths, and so on.  

05.jpg

06.jpg

It has a pair of pivoting racks to hold flux, punches, etc. on the end opposite the vise.

03.jpg

Plus it has horizontal hardy holes on both long sides and under the end that can hold bending forks, a cone mandrel, etc.

01.jpg

The vise screw is just a length of 1" acme thread rod with a captured nut on one end of the framed.  The other end of the screw rests in a little piece of pipe on the moveable jaw, and there is a little piece of brass acting as a wear plate in there (because Paul is just too cool!).  The coil spring that opens the jaws is offset to allow up to a meter of length to be run through the vise jaws.  And, with the wheel rather than the usual bar handle, the vise opens and closes FAST, and can't whack you in the tender bits like a normal vise handle.

04.jpg

07.jpg

Spiffy,  huh?  All you need is a welder, but a bandsaw helps.  Paul is a genius, btw.  If you've got a copy of Francis Whitaker's "The Blacksmith's Cookbook," you may remember in the chapter on watering cans for the forge Francis showed a can with the holes up high on the side rather than the usual punctured bottom type that pours water all over everything, thus making a mess.  He called it the "Tennessee Valve" after where he saw it.  Paul is the guy who made it...

Anyway,  I thought this was a genius-level invention, perfect for demos and such as it's not too heavy and it can do anything a "normal" anvil and vise setup can do.   

• Like 3

Dang, wish I saw that when I was starting out. It's perfect. I would pin that pic in the tools and beginners section Alan.  Genius-level invention indeed.

Edited by Bruno

Alan, do you have the full name of the guy who built this?  I've stolen the pics and text, but I would like to be able to credit the builder when I share this.

Geoff

PS, I just missed it, Lundquist, got it

Edited by Geoff Keyes

17 hours ago, Bruno said:

Dang, wish I saw that when I was starting out. It's perfect. I would pin that pic in the tools and beginners section Alan.  Genius-level invention indeed.

I think I'll add it to the end of Geoff's anvil thread in a few days after it's been up long enough for most folks to see it.

16 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Alan, do you have the full name of the guy who built this?  I've stolen the pics and text, but I would like to be able to credit the builder when I share this.

Geoff

PS, I just missed it, Lundquist, got it

I have his email and phone as well if you want to ask him about it.  Just didn't think it would be nice to post those publicly where any bot can scavenge.

Thanks Alan, I was going to suggest that you add that to the pin.

I don't think I need to bother him, but if yo think about it when next you see him, thank him for us and tell him how cool we thought his idea is.

I bought an 80lb Fisher sawyers anvil a couple of years ago.  I think a setup like this is just what it needs.

Geoff

He checks in here every so often to see what we're up to, he may well see this.  Paul, if you're reading, go ahead and join!  :D