Geoff Keyes

Can someone give me a tutorial on Sharks Tooth damascus?

On the latest episode of FIF, the smiths had to choose damascus patterns to try and replicate, and one of them was sharks tooth.  I can't find a howto on the WEB, but it looks like a ladder cut into a a block of W's.  Is that it?  Or is there more going on?

It was a big ask, IMHO.  It would take me at least 3 crush and weld ops, a laddering pass, and the forging of the blade, plus grind and HT.  Hard to do in 3 hrs.

Geoff

You've got it.  It's just a ladder that doesn't go all  the way across the billet.

Watched this episode Friday and I was left with a question: Are all of.........or most of us, fat?

:lol:

I would fit right in except for the anvils being too low :D

5 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Watched this episode Friday and I was left with a question: Are all of.........or most of us, fat?

:lol:

We try to protect our vital organs from anything hot or sharp. Its necessary...

• Haha 3

Comes in handy as a grinding rest, too!

• Haha 1

In my episode I was pretty much the token "Beard and Wide Load", but yes, for the most part, we tend to be top heavy and shaped like a barrel

Geoff

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My brother had a tee shirt that said “I am in shape. Eggplant is a shape”

the shark’s tooth is exactly what Gary  said.  Flat straight billet and grind the grooves in across half the billet width. Then forge flat.

Edited by Joshua States

This is Devon Thomas' sharks tooth, and I think that that it's a "W" that has been laddered.

sharkstooth.jpg

Joshua I think what you are talking about is a Half ladder.

G

Posted (edited)

I think what you are showing is what I just call W. Because you have to either ladder, accordion cut, or tile cut a W billet for the W's to show.

This is what my W-pattern comes out as. I accordion cut my billets. It's the same as what Devon's is, just the ladders are wider in mine than they are in his.

Closer up V2.jpg

What I know as Wolf's tooth, is what Gary Mulkey described, and could also be called "half ladder". It looks like this.

It is possible that you could do the same thing with a W pattern billet. Half ladder the billet and call it "Shark's tooth" rather than "Wolf's tooth".

Edited by Joshua States