ATLSteve

Anvil -- whats this worth

Someone is selling an anvil locally. They are asking $125. Is it worth it and is this a good starter Anvil?

anvil .jpg

The going rate of scrap steel is around $0.03-$0.05 per pound.  That is a little higher quality, and may be of limited use in that shape, so I'd say it could be worth $0.50 per pound for use as a general blacksmithing tool.  Maybe a bit more if you're into jewelry making.  

If you are only thinking of forging blades I'd say maybe you could take it if it was free, but you'd definitely be better off buying a chunk of square stock at $0.50/lb at a steel supplier.  If you haven't already, which seems likely, go read this thread.  

• Thanks 1

Railroad track "anvils" are common, and for some reason non-smiths seem to think they are worth as much as a real anvil.  They aren't.  

I mean, its a heavy piece of steel that you can hammer things on. Not really an ideal shape though, there is a lot of mass on the top and bottom of track anvils, not so much in the center, so it will transmit force less efficiently then a real anvil. Like Jerrod said, you would likely be better off with a large piece of stock stood on end. 

Or, if you want cheap... got a sledge hammer head laying around?

Assuming you're in Atlanta (the name suggests...), get yourself over to the Atlanta History Center and join the Alex Bealer chapter of blacksmiths.  They meet at the Tully Smith house. Well, the shop is out front.  Watching and participating is the second best way to flatten that learning curve!  The fastest and best is to take a few blacksmithing classes.

http://alexbealer.org/

Edit:  Looks like they now meet all over central Georgia, and you just missed the last meeting.  You MUST go to the October meeting, it's at Stephan Fowler's shop.  He is an accomplished bladesmith and friend of mine. http://www.alexbealer.org/plug.php?e=events&m=details&id=136

• Like 1

I believe Stephan has moved to Dallas, Ga. now, so check the address if you go.

Look at oldworldanvils.com. they have a square anvil that makes a good Cutler's block. Good starter for the money.

The guy that makes the atlas mini forges just released a custom anvil. I really don’t need one but really want to buy one. It’s made for bladesmithing. It’s hornless and has a hardy hole!

Just something to look at.

29 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Look at oldworldanvils.com. they have a square anvil that makes a good Cutler's block. Good starter for the money.

That's in my price range. Iam mostly inrested in make ing chefs  That's in my price range. I am mostly interested in making kitchen knives, at least right now. I thought I would try and make a paring knife and see how it goes. So that 4" x 4" x 4" anvil would get me started? 

18 minutes ago, Cody Killgore said:

The guy that makes the atlas mini forges just released a custom anvil. I really don’t need one but really want to buy one. It’s made for bladesmithing. It’s hornless and has a hardy hole!

Sorry to be such newbie, where can I find that!

thanks 

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Assuming you're in Atlanta (the name suggests...), get yourself over to the Atlanta History Center and join the Alex Bealer chapter of blacksmiths.  They meet at the Tully Smith house. Well, the shop is out front.  Watching and participating is the second best way to flatten that learning curve!  The fastest and best is to take a few blacksmithing classes.

http://alexbealer.org/

Edit:  Looks like they now meet all over central Georgia, and you just missed the last meeting.  You MUST go to the October meeting, it's at Stephan Fowler's shop.  He is an accomplished bladesmith and friend of mine. http://www.alexbealer.org/plug.php?e=events&m=details&id=136

Thanks Alen. I work Saturdays, but man that looks perfect. I will keep my eye on it. Thanks 

5 minutes ago, ATLSteve said:

Sorry to be such newbie, where can I find that!

thanks 

http://www.atlasknife.com/product/atlas-anvil/

this is is the one I was talking about. It’s a little more spendy but would be great.

On another note, you can ask the oldworldanvils guys to cut that 4x4 block longer (like a foot long). I think they will sell you a longer block for $200 or so.

I might get one of these for myself. The 60 HRC is the most attractive part about it and the fact that it is smaller and would be easier to move around. 

Not that this means much, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Atlas anvil from the knife makers I know who have one.   

12 hours ago, ATLSteve said:

Thanks Alen. I work Saturdays, but man that looks perfect. I will keep my eye on it. Thanks 

Go to Stephan's if at all possible.  He makes really nice kitchen knives.

• Like 1

I'm interested in the atlas knifemakers anvil because I could roll it into the garage after a forging to make sure that it's didn't grow legs on me.  The hardy hole would hold my bick tool (among others) even if I had to grind the stem down a little to fit.

Doug

19 hours ago, Cody Killgore said:

Looks like something made in China

37 minutes ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Looks like something made in China

I don't know where they are poured. I know that he was working with a foundry to try and have them meet his specs for a while and had them redo molds and such. I also know that he sent samples out to some well known bladesmiths to test them out. If they are good anvils, they are good anvils regardless of where they are made. And the price is right too. Especially since shipping on them is $18.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:34 PM, Joshua States said:

I have one of their 4x4 post jobs, and I can say without a doubt it is far and away better then the crap ASO ( Anvil shaped Object ) I had before, and thats with it mounted to a crap stump. I am going to put it on a 4x6 sunk into a 5gal bucket of Cement here in the near future to cut down on vibration. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cody Killgore said:

they are good anvils regardless of where they are made.

It does matter, the health of a nation is based on it's manufacturing.  China underbids everyone, because they have no human rights, no worker's rights, and no pollution standards.  Plus, time and time again, once a Chinese company has your business, the quality starts to go down.  The first few batches of anvils might be good quality, but the rest will not.

1 hour ago, Gerald Boggs said:

It does matter, the health of a nation is based on it's manufacturing.  China underbids everyone, because they have no human rights, no worker's rights, and no pollution standards.  Plus, time and time again, once a Chinese company has your business, the quality starts to go down.  The first few batches of anvils might be good quality, but the rest will not.

A good anvil is a good anvil, period. I'm not sure how helpful it is to devolve the thread into a China bashing thread when we don't even know if these are made in China... Instead, perhaps you could make your own recommendation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert D. said:

I have one of their 4x4 post jobs, and I can say without a doubt it is far and away better then the crap ASO ( Anvil shaped Object ) I had before, and thats with it mounted to a crap stump. I am going to put it on a 4x6 sunk into a 5gal bucket of Cement here in the near future to cut down on vibration. 

You can build a really useful anvil base from a 2x10 or 2x12 board, and make it easy to move around as well. Cut the board up into equal length pieces at the right height and nail them together with a 1-1/2" offset. Connect a strap across the resulting spaces and you have a hammer/tong holder. Now recess a space in the top to fit the anvil and caulk it down. 

Anvil base (2).JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cody Killgore said:

A good anvil is a good anvil, period. I'm not sure how helpful it is to devolve the thread into a China bashing thread when we don't even know if these are made in China... Instead, perhaps you could make your own recommendation.

Thank you