Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Keyes

Rework of old Chefs knife

This one of the earliest kitchen pieces I made.  It had been sitting in the knife block, unloved, for a long time.  It was way too thick and the handle was wonky.  I was contacted by someone looking for a kitchen knife, when he mentioned damascus, I made him a deal.

Before, I really liked that handle, which is why I resisted the urge to fix it up

DSC08623.JPG

Notice the no pin construction.  It took 5 blows with a 5lb hammer to even crack the handle

DSC08626.JPG

DSC08627.JPG

DSC08638.JPG

DSC08644.JPG

DSC08648.JPG

Sorry about the crappy pics, I'm just doing this on the fly because I need to get this done

Geoff

• Like 2

Looking good, Geoff. Nice pattern.

I ground a good third to half of the thickness away.  It's amazing (having made a few) how thin they really are.  At least this one cuts a whole lot better now.

g

That looks really nice. How thick did it start out, and how thick did it end up?

I didn't measure it, but the mid point of hte blade jammed in the block, and they are over 1/8th.   I drew lines from the tip back to where the handle joins the blade and re built the distal taper,  The tip is a bare 1/16th and survived the accidental concrete floor drop.  I'll get some measurements tomorrow.  Mostly what I did was bring the bare blade into the house and hand it to my wife for a direct carrot cut comparison.  The first two times it failed, it did not cut as well as the favorite hand made blade in the block.  I think it could be thinner, but not without re heat treating it.  It's pretty nice right now.

Geoff

This one is headed out today. It's a refurb of an unloved damascus chef from my kitchen. Reground (lost about 1/2 the weight) new handle.

IMG_1673 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1676 (Medium).JPG

IMG_1678 (Medium).JPG