Sign in to follow this  
TrevorWalsh

HT Oven Door Swing Preferences

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of building a HT oven and am trying to decide which way the door should swing. A lot of the builds I see, and most of the commercial offerings have side swinging doors, but a down swinging door on the other hand could be weighted for automatic closing. I do wonder how much heat the door would be able to radiate at your hand while grabbing blades. Does anyone have any thoughts or practical experience with either door type?

I've attached a rough model of my design with a down swinging door for reference.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 9.35.04 PM.png

I have zero experience with heat treat ovens, so take this for what its worth. It seems like reaching over top of a 1400 degree surface doesn't sound like a lot of fun.  I would want to use tongs long enough to keep my hands and arms from going over top of it, which would make it harder to get blades in and out.  Again, just my .02 with zero experience to back it up.

The little burn-out oven I use to heat treat small blades has a door like that.  I don't like it very much for the very reason that you and Alex  suspect.  That door is flipping hot and only a few inches from my hand.  Even with gloves, I find myself rushing to place parts in and out of the oven which is not ideal.

There's also the option of an up-swinging door that rotates all the way up.  Also automatically closing (potentially an issue when inserting/removing things if it chooses to fall on your hand).  Paragon uses this design, Evenheat uses a side-opening door, and most home-builts for sword-length blades are top-opening.  

7 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

The little burn-out oven I use to heat treat small blades has a door like that.  I don't like it very much for the very reason that you and Alex  suspect.  That door is flipping hot and only a few inches from my hand.  Even with gloves, I find myself rushing to place parts in and out of the oven which is not ideal.

Good enough for me, side swing it is.